Replacement horn relay.

SpitfireGeorge

All done now but it was a bit of a job. Very hard to get to but I was changing the engine mount anyway as it was perished and that made the job easier. Now the horn works all the time:😀 I had to fix a number of things before this, The pencil on the steering column had come apart and had to be re-soldered and all the cables around the horns themselves were broken or damaged. Thanks again for help and advice.

• 2 months later...

A further aspect of Horn problem has arisen on my 1970 Triumph 1360 which currently only has one horn fitted and the "pencil" is not fitted. As I was reversing into garage after replacing the alternator ( everything charging properly) the horn sounded it now sounds intermittently when steering is moved - clearly I have to start looking for earth fault somewhere but not sure where to start?

Also I cannot understand how I can fit the "pencil" as it is too long - the car has had a replacement sports steering wheel fitted during previous owners restoration.

Any advice would be welcome

Matt

there are 3.4"  and   2,6" the std one  rimmer sell both

as said the column is not fixed it sits in a clamp that allows it to collapse  so get hold of the outer column and give it a firm shove /push wiggle in towards the dash it will and is supposed to shift under load   the inner shaft also has a slip joint which also collapses under load  this shaft joint has a simple but accurate

way to set it up but yes they all will move in /out from the dash if you persuade it firmly 

do you have a workshop manual   always usefull there are copies on line from steve http://vitessesteve.co.uk/Servicemanuals

or get proper re prints from club shop or market places 

and  a thought if the wheel is too close to the ring then the pencil will seem too long 

Pete

image.thumb.png.9bd1d1f6216fe173d12edfe4810665b5.png

Edited by Pete Lewis

Dont forget the steering wheel hasnt got too much adjustment relative to the outer column because of the indicator self cancelling cam. Pull the wheel and inner shaft out too much and your indicators will stay on after completing a turn☹️