Advice on good Starter Solenoid?

Martin V

It seems one of the next things causing me an issue (firing, trying to start/run but stopping once ignition turned from "start").

When running a wire direct from battery to coil (in parallel with the white yellow wire - just by passing the starter solenoid) the engine starts perfectly and runs normally.

I don't want to order another rubbish quality solenoid as looking at the PO receipts it seems one was bought June last year and then another in January this year (both Rimmer ~£10). Clearly these are very poor quality.

Please has anyone a good recommendation for quality starter solenoid and where to source from?

I'll try adding pics of existing set-up.

If it starts ok but then stops when returning ignition key to run position the problem wont be solenoid as this is supplying the starting 12v ok. It must be the 6v running supply thats coming by a resistor to the coil thats at fault. Quite likely the resistor, either a separate unit by the coil or a piece of resistance wire integrated into the supply cable, has failed....

I think Martin has a 73 GT6? Which will have a resistance wire, grubby white with pink stripe. 

I once dropped a pair of pliers across the solenoid and turned the started motor, a bit of a surprise! Now I make sure to DISCONNECT THE BATTERY when standing in the engine bay! :wub:

Doug

The way to know Martin is if you dont see a voltage (12v) at the coil with the ignition turned on but not running youve lost the resistor supply somewhere. The other thing is dont run for too long with a direct 12v supply as your coil is rated at 6v and can overheat...

Thanks both. I'll check again but I already looked into all the connections on the back of the ignition and all bullet connectors behind the dash/tunnel. I did initially think there must be a bullet come apart as I had to take the tunnel out (again) for garage to replace gearbox seals.

I'll check the voltage (thanks Johny) and check back again specifically that white/purple.

On my car there are only two wires to the coil. White Yellow (from solenoid) to +ve and blue orange from distributor to -ve. From that and compared to the wiring diagram shared by Doug previously, I took it that there was no ballast. Coil is Accuspark high power coil with electronic ignition by same.