Herald 1200 sidelight lenses

caleyJim

I originally posted this under electrical but got no replies so perhaps it is better suited to this topic. Sorry if anyone get offended for cross posting but I would like some guidance if possible:

I have a 1970 Herald 1200 which I am in the process of rebuilding and I have a query about the sidelights or more specifically the sidelight lens. I have a two varieties sitting in the garage, some with a peaked lens and some with a smooth curved lens. I think it was the curved ones which I took off the car when I was stripping it but the question is which type is right for the car?

If there was a change from peaked to curved (I presume it went that way and not vice versa?) does anyone know when it happened?

Many thanks

Jim

If my memory serves me correctly, the early 948cc cars had smaller side lamp / indicator units, with a smaller hole in the bonnet, with one bulb. Later cars had twin bulb units, with either a peaked or smooth glass lens, and a bigger hole in the bonnet. According to Rimmer's website, the changeover to the larger units was gradual, (probably as the factory used up existing older pattern bonnet pressings), and there is no clear changeover date, but it is around 1964. The latter two units are interchangeable, although clearly you would want a matching pair. If re-using old parts, make sure the domed orange cover for the indicator bulb is present in the units, as these can get lost over time and are not easy to find.

Good luck

Steve C

The Lucas designation for the 2-bulb Herald unit is L584.  Lucas made two different lenses that fitted - both have L584 moulded into the glass. The Midget/Sprite cars used the same unit.

I'm 99% certain that Heralds only ever had the peaked glass - whatever the suppliers of modern replacements might say.

There seems to be plenty of original L584 peaked glass about, they're pretty tough.  I've got a drawer full!

• Like 1

Heralds started with the twin-bulb lenses; for a time, around 1961 they changed to small single bulb lenses - probably to appeal to the American market. They went back to the twin-bulb lamps again, I think around 1962. You could buy adaptor plates to change early to late and late to early depending on your preference. I have both peaked and rounded lenses and if it wasn't raining so hard I'd nip out to the garage and try to confirm part numbers from the boxes. The small single lens is the same as GT6 late-model MK2 and Jaguar reversing lights.

Early cars including all standard 948s and very early 1200s had the 2-bulb lights with peaked lenses. These were changed in very early 1200 production to the smaller single-bulb type. The 2-bulb lamps reappeared in early 1965. Be aware that throughout the period when small lamps were regular fitment, the larger units were being used in certain overseas markets, including some where a large lamp with single bulb was fitted. This meant that bonnets with both size apertures were rolling down the production lines simultaneously, with some large-lamps still finding their way into UK production.

From the large lamp's wholesale reintroduction in 1965, the peaked lens continued in use until 1969/70, when the smooth lens was introduced. It wasn't only the lens which changed though, the earlier lamps the peaked lens have a backplate incorporating a metal divider between the two bulbs. Those with the smooth lens lack this divider, the lower profile of this lens prevents it's inclusion.

Cheers,

Bill.