Horn Pencil Problem

New to the site so not sure where I should post I have added this as a reply to a previous conversation possibly by mistake

.A further aspect of Horn problem has arisen on my 1970 Triumph 1360 which currently only has one horn fitted and the "pencil" is not fitted. As I was reversing into garage after replacing the alternator ( everything charging properly) the horn sounded it now sounds intermittently when steering is moved - clearly I have to start looking for earth fault somewhere but not sure where to start?

Also I cannot understand how I can fit the "pencil" as it is too long - the car has had a replacement sports steering wheel fitted during previous owners restoration.

Any advice would be welcome

Matt

the horn blowing will be due to lack of clearance between handwheel and the switch cowling  

get hold of the outer tube and give it a firm wriggle downwards  the column and tube are colapsible 

so they will move with strong firm efforts 

there are two lengths of pencil  long and ...short 

buy a short one 

Pete

• KevinR changed the title to Horn Pencil Problem

car is fitted with a Malita type steering wheel sorry having problems trying to upload photo (a bit of a computer luddite)

Since Pete's reply I have been searching everywhere and now find there appears to be three compatible "pencils" 2 5/8th" 3" and 3 1/2" so will measure and try and get shorter one tomorrow - tried wriggling outer tube as suggested nothing happens.

Matt

Is there much play in the steering wheel side to side? Heres the arrangement with 44 being the contact ring that sits in the top of the outer column so the pencil 48 can slide on it. If the steering wheel boss 46 touches the ring as might happen with an aftermarket steering wheel or worn shaft bushes (41, 42, 43) the horn circuit will be made...

image.png.e743b7f704b0f4c1cef758a17b8f917e.png