Spitfire 4 Mk2 Bonnet

matclynes

Hi,

I'm restoring an early 4 Mk2 and have almost all the parts required now, I am however stuck on a few bits.

Engine bay is all sorted, suspension sorted, brakes sorted etc, 

Body seems to be the sticking point, the bonnet is rotten as hell and beyond my skills, the doors are bad but salvageable if I can't find any. And the front and rear bumpers are "****" to far gone to even contemplate re-chrome.

If anyone has a bonnet or bumpers at a realistic price it would be great to hear from you.

The front grille is missing so that would be brilliant to find.

Cooling system is lacking a radiator and I would prefer a correct version not an upgrade.

Hope this post isn't bending any rules.

regards

Mat 

Mat

One of the traders used to do new bonnets for Mk1/2, not sure if they still do. Would possibly have been Chic Doig or TD Fitchetts. Will hurt, but also save all the pain of a rebuild. any 2nd hand one will be just as rotten as yours as the good ones are fitted to cars!

I may be able to assist with someone to rebuild your rotten bonnet, but depends how far gone.

The grills ISTR are the poop of the rocking horse.

Cheers

Colin

Morning Mat

I've always wanted to have a go at making a bumper and a MK1 rear might be a a nice one to start with. I would need a pattern which would not be damaged. If this is of interest please let me know. There would be no charge. It's my hobby and I thoroughly enjoy metal shaping. At the moment things are a bit quiet  :(

I could make it in steel in which case you would need to have it chromed or if just decorative in aluminium which could be polished.

Ive been on the lookout for a better Mk2 bonnet myself for years without luck. I saw TD Fitchett used to do a Mk3  one for about 1100 quid (believe they have all the original pressing tools)  but their web site is crap so I can't check now. Maybe worth a call? 

A rebuild will be my next big job, Ive managed to now assemble all the requisite bits over the years.  The round holed quarter valances which always rot were unobtanium for ages but someone seems to be remaking them now, albeit not very tidily. It may be Paddocks?

I did see a NOS GT6 one on the bay of evil for a mere 2800 or so, that might still available but they won't ship to the UK for some reason...

Wow.

Some really useful comments, thanks for that.

I will follow up on all the options given over the next few days. I finally got some paperwork on the car this morning, it was built in 1962 and not registered till 65, it was last taxed in 1982 after an engine failure it was put in a garage and forgotten about until listed on ebay as a mark2, I bought it as a donor car for my other 65 MK2 and realised what it was, hence it taking priority. (I'd nick the bonnet off the other car but its fibre glass). The Mk3 bonnet option sounds interesting as I have a new grille panel that was in the boot of the car when purchased.

as for fabricating a new one from a pattern, you could try? I actually drove from Manchester to Poole last week and collected an engine (chassis&front suspension spare if anyone needs it) as its early enough to suit the car.

Thanks again

Mat

Ive been on the lookout for a better Mk2 bonnet myself for years without luck. I saw TD Fitchett used to do a Mk3  one for about 1100 quid (believe they have all the original pressing tools)  but their web site is crap so I can't check now. Maybe worth a call? 

A rebuild will be my next big job, Ive managed to now assemble all the requisite bits over the years.  The round holed quarter valances which always rot were unobtanium for ages but someone seems to be remaking them now, albeit not very tidily. It may be Paddocks?

I did see a NOS GT6 one on the bay of evil for a mere 2800 or so, that might still available but they won't ship to the UK for some reason...

I've found a full kit of parts baring light housings for 900+ I would imaging 25-30 hours of labour would go into putting it together, but all in all not as bad as I 1st thought 

Hey Mat. 900 sounds reasonable, well done. As I said its taken me a few years to pull together all the parts at reasonable cost. Haven't kept track of the costs stupidly (prefer not to know, or the wife to find out, to tell the truth..) but its probably around that. I had to get round indicator repair patches let into Mk3 rectangular hole quarter valances at high cost before those  "correct" valences became available. but hey ho

Haven't started the rebuild job yet, waiting for warmer weather and more time,  and can't find any descriptions of the process online, but my current plan to mitigate alignment issues is to start by removing the support tubes of my existing bonnet to clean them up along with the top panel and front grille area, which are sound but tatty.

I'll then replace the tubes to the existing marks to keep alignment before cutting away the rotted wings, wheel arches and sidelight areas and replacing with new, based on the datum points of the pivot brackets and the rear strengthener which links the back of the top with the rear edge of the wings, which I'll retain. Hopefully it will all line up on reassembly and drop straight back on.

I'm mainly using a spot welder so working out the original panel assembly order in order to get access  to the right seam at the right time, particularly around the D plate area, is a bit of a mind bender right now but I hope enlightenment dawns at the right time.

Unless anyone out there has done this before and can share their experience?

I've bought it as it happens, and the welding-assembly part is no doubt above my abilities, but I have got a very nice semi retired restorer through the garage that repairs my business vehicles and he's happy to take it on "in his own timeline" for shits and giggles (and beer money) (and a ride when its finished) I've seen some of his previous jobs and for 72 he's got it down pat. I've go that much more to be doing if it takes him 6 months it will still be on time.