Triumph GT6 Slow throttle close

Alex Lowe

Hi All, 

I have just finished my restoration of my MK3 GT6 and am starting to run the car in. I have noticed the throttle is very slow of closing causing the throttle to stick on (I have rebuilt the carbs as part of the rebuild) I am a bit of a loss on what to try apart from new return springs which I have been unable to find. Would it be possible to turn the current ones an extra turn to increase the pressure?

really you need to identify what is causing the slow return 

cable must have some slack ,as temperature will open the idle if its too taut.

did you replace the throttle spindles ????

do make sure no air filter /gasket is not blocking the front face vents

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

As a diagnostic procedure I'd suggest to completely disconnect the linkages from the carburettors. The butterfly on each carb (independently) should then be able to snap shut decisively. If one or both does not do this then the carb(s) need further investigation.

If carbs are fine then the issue lies somewehere between the accelarator pedal and the carb. And possible checks here are: • pedal return spring absent, incorrect, worngly fitted. and aslo worth a check that the pivot (bush) for the pedal is free moving.  • cable internally kinked and corroded (should be totally free running) or incorrect length • then there's the Wallace and Grommit linkage screwed to the inlet manifold. The linkage mechanism can be 'flipped over' from the proper working state to one that has obstructed movement. Hard to explain but pretty obvious is the linkage is removed for examination.