J type gear-lever

Hi all. I’ve a MK3 Spitfire (EFi & 4 spd) and I’m putting a j type single rail OD gearbox in it. The OD ‘box doesn’t have a gear lever and I have absolutely no idea which or where to get one. Assuming I can just fashion a remote OD switch easy enough, can anyone tell me if a 4 spd or if not, which gear-lever I should look for that will fit? I haven’t actually tried my current 4 spd lever yet as planning to remove the original box this weekend so this may be a moot question but thought I’d ask now before I get stuck in  

thanks

Nick

Single rail and 3 rail levers are not interchangeable. In both cases the OD version has a hole drilled length ways from the end with an exit hole a short distance down so the wiring can get to the knob switch. In all other respects OD and non OD are the same so if you want a remote switch the latter will work and is easier/cheaper to source like this 1500 Spitfire one on ebay...

image.png.3a51a1bb8157a32cba8bd4e68a062dd2.png

21 minutes ago, johny said:

Single rail and 3 rail levers are not interchangeable. In both cases the OD version has a hole drilled length ways from the end with an exit hole a short distance down so the wiring can get to the knob switch. In all other respects OD and non OD are the same so if you want a remote switch the latter will work and is easier/cheaper to source like this 1500 Spitfire one on ebay...

image.png.3a51a1bb8157a32cba8bd4e68a062dd2.png

As Johnny says, the gear levers aren't interchangeable. However, I believe the top cover, remote linkage and lever can be swapped over from the earlier box to the later one. Someone more experienced here may be able to confirm.

You also need to consider the overall length of the gearbox and overdrive assembly with J-type installed. Will the propshaft need to be shortened, and will the mount under the overdrive need to be modified??

I fitted a Dolomite 1850 box with J-type OD to my GT6. It required the very rare shorter OD adapter plate from a late Spit Mk4, a shortened main shaft for the gearbox and a homemade custom mounting plate for the overdrive.

You could avoid the rare Mk4 OD adapter and shortened main shaft by chopping the propshaft, cutting the transmission tunnel and making a new rear mount under the overdrive.... It's a can of worms.

Nigel

Correct unless as Nigel suggested you change over the complete gear selector assembly - after all the internals of both gearbox types are essentially the same but it might complicate matters a bit...

Gear lever arrived & went in no problem. Thanks

Next issue seems to be the 20 spline clutch plate I bought doesn’t fit on my flywheel 🤨

assume I maybe need a 1500 mk1V flywheel? Or can I get mine machined out, it’s lightened so I’d prefer to use it…