Chassis dimensions - Vitesse Mk2

hi, 

anyone spotted incorrect dimensions in the Vitesse workshop manual? I think I have the correct WSM for the year - it references mk2 anyway.

I'm preparing to replace the front chassis tube on my mk2 Vitesse, and I've been checking over reference dimensions to mark up the cuts. I haven't checked all the dimensions on the diagram, just the ones that relate to the front tube, but I've found one conversion error (inches to cm) and one dimension that is completely different to the actual dimension on the car. Which has made me wonder about the overall accuracy of the diagram itself. 

Has anyone else found any discrepancies? Is there perhaps a more up to date diagram than the one I've got (official red binder WS manual, third issue)?

manuals are the best bible we have but errors do exist as do the one bit of information

you need is often missing , i would guess some errors are corrected in service technical notes 

used to advise dealers of changes or errors and later prints 

Pete

steve has some on his web pages  Triumph Service Training Notes - Vitessesteve

the club does have archive of a lot of tech bulletins etc 

but you need to visit HQ to have browse

Gaydon have a lot of orig documents but never found them easy to deal with

many use the forum to get a spread of experience when a hic up in docs appears

its quicker   Ha !!

Pete

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

My Red Vitesse/GT6 factory manual has an 'Appendix' which is the last Chapter. PO of the manual updated some pages, but not all. So, some originals are in the appendix, others are in the main sections. It is quite possible that errors exist, for example, in mine, the propshaft lengths for overdrive and no overdrive are transposed. The overdrive one should be shorter.

Best way to check is to measure what it is on both sides of the car before chopping anything out, then replace as it was. Some dimensions are are symmetrical. If they are not symetrical check everything possible, maybe starting with the hub centres. However, this assumes that any repairs have been done as original build.

theres centre line holes in the front main and the rear diff x  member , these are on the flange , but you need to extend the centre line beyond the length of the car ,

dimensions are from the  bottom of the x members used for the centre line 

a good 6ft straight edge ,large protractor and some 4ft spirit levels come in handy .

mick 

Mick

good tip on the centre line holes - hadn't spotted those. I'm going to clamp a plate across the steering rack supports and extend a straight edge from there to mark the centre - the plate will also act as the vertical reference. I'm removing an earlier accident 'repair', so original front tube is long gone - at the moment, I've a badly bent/straightened extension, and an off-centre front tube all held together with some dubious snotted weld. 

Luckily Chic Doig has been really helpful in finding replacement parts ... so should work out ok! 

when replacing the body on the frame the process is :

1: fit bonnet and square to frame ,

2: fit front tub and square to bonnet .

3: fit doors and square  to front tub

4: fit rear tub 

5:  ignore manuel for mounting height  square to other body parts  shim /pack to frame to suit .

6: fit roof 

7: re adjust every thing again as fitting the roof changes everything  including how your coffee tastes 

mick