Layshaft refurb worth it ?

Afternoon all. I was having a shed tidy up yesterday and re-discovered all the internal parts of a dismantled single rail gbox that I put away yrs ago. It was bought for v little and came from a Midget 1500. I assume that it's identical to the Spitfire 1500 single rail box, apart from ratios maybe? Are the synchro rings the same size as Vit/GT6?

Anyway, the layshaft, which I'm sure is OEM, is in quite good nick. It's perfect at one end and only has fairly light needle roller damage to one smallish area at 'tother end. 

Question : has anyone ever had any sucess refurbing a layshaft, by metal spraying the surface, then hardening etc. Or is it waste of money, not possible etc. Are currently available layshafts manufactured to the proper hardness now? Just curious 🤔

metal spraying is very hard and not that easy to regrind  if you get one from dave at canley 

it should be to the correct spec 

at least he knows about the crap ones sold some while ago 

then where do all the suppliers get their stock ???????

pete

Sounds pretty good to me. I would use the layshaft again but turn it upside down so the load (gears push apart) is on the opposite side to the existing wear.

Synchro rings are bigger than gt6/vitesse as is the mainshaft tip...

22 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

metal spraying is very hard and not that easy to regrind  if you get one from dave at canley 

it should be to the correct spec 

at least he knows about the crap ones sold some while ago 

then where do all the suppliers get their stock ???????

Exactly my point Pete!

As a very simple component, any machine shop can turn up new layshafts, but not necessarily to the correct hardness. I think it's highly likely that there is more than one source out there, but how do you tell if it's a good 'un?!🤔