Gearbox noises

Finished most of the jobs retro fitting the o/f (recon) so took it on a short road test.  It was running ok for about 5 minutes.  I tried engaging o/d but couldn’t tell any difference and my rev counter isn’t working.  Suddenly gearbox started making a horrible noise (like I’d not put oil in) which I had.   It’s doing it out of 0/d in all gears  and the same engaging gear on axle stands.  Any ideas?  All advice very much appreciated.  Video attached. I was pointing the camera at the back end but couldn’t tell where the sound was coming from.

Hi Jonny.  O/d. Solenoid is clicking on axle stans ok but I can’t hear it when the engine is running.  Too noisy.  I did wire up the demister indicator to the o/d relay which for is indicating it’s working.  At least in 4th.   But I’m guessing I didn’t give it time to build hydraulic pressure.  
it’s the noise I’m worried about.  I didn’t try reverse I’ll go give it a go.

Same noise in reverse.  Same nose in gears 1-3.  4 actually seems ok.  This is on axle stands.  Difficult to hear where the noise is coming from but it sounds most pronounced where the gearbox joins the o/d.   Honestly sounds like no oil.  Because the car is not level when raised, I put in 1.4 litres as manual specifies rather than using the dribble out method.  I assume that wouldn’t be a problem.  Slightly lower at the back.

Gears 1 - 3 and reverse all use the laygear and mainstaft tip bearing while 4th is straight through (although the laygear does still spin unloaded). Could it be the laygear rear bearing as OD is obviously transmitting drive in all gears... 

try put in gear and load the transmission with a bit of gentle clutch use does it change thhe noise ?

it sounds like the OD one way clutch bearing is clattering 

there is also an anti clatter spring circlip fitted in a shallow groove in the tail of the main shaft often left out .

but thats a hard noise , even thinking of loose flywheel etc.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, johny said:

Not sure you should progress any further. Better to return it to reconditioners to let them do the investigation and hopefully cover the repairs under warranty... 

Thanks Jonny.  Yes no problems there.  Box came from a very reputable source who is very keen to fix the problem.  👍