Knock on Wire Wheels on a Vitesse

i think all those apply to any wire wheels 

great if you like wibble wobble handling 

the worst part is the lack of spanner room to get a good torque on the adaptor to hub nuts ...often quite hopeless 

taking wires off and reverting to steel or alloy really transforms the handling.

they look nice  thats about the only thing going for wires 

some love em   some hate em   all down to preference 

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

i think all those apply to any wire wheels 

great if you like wibble wobble handling 

the worst part is the lack of spanner room to get a good torque on the adaptor to hub nuts ...often quite hopeless 

taking wires off and reverting to steel or alloy really transforms the handling.

they look nice  thats about the only thing going for wires 

some love em   some hate em   all down to preference 

Pete

Pete

Thanks for the reply, I think they look good on something like an Healey 3000, E-Type or Aston DB4/5, but not a Vitesse.

It was more the practicalities of keeping them clean and the splines and spokes staying in good fettle, I believe the spline area/size on the ones to suit the small Chassis triumphs is marginal and a weak point, so I've been told anyway.

I know they are very heavy and flex a lot compared with Alloys and even standard Vitesse Rims/Trims.

Gary 

Hi Gary,

I recently fitted wire wheels on my Vitesse. I knew very well about all the disadvantages that Pete describes above when I bought them (I would not buy second hand / used ones). But it has been on my bucket list to have wire wheels on my Triumph since I bought my Herald when I was 17 years old, 40 years ago. I think they look fantastic! Anyway, I’m not brave enough to use all that torque the sixpot provide given the fact that it is quite common that a small chassies Triumph has been overtaken by one of its own wheels. You see that on facebook every now and then. I just happily potter around driving carfully and so far I have not had any bad experiences driving with wire wheels. It works fine for me!

I choosed to buy 14” wheels from MWS, I think they look better than 13”. Clearance is tight but it works. It would look better if I lowered the from an inch or so I think. Some pictures attached.

IMG_8862.JPEG

IMG_8875.JPEG

IMG_8881.JPEG

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Roger said:

Hi Gary,

I recently fitted wire wheels on my Vitesse. I knew very well about all the disadvantages that Pete describes above when I bought them (I would not buy second hand / used ones). But it has been on my bucket list to have wire wheels on my Triumph since I bought my Herald when I was 17 years old, 40 years ago. I think they look fantastic! Anyway, I’m not brave enough to use all that torque the sixpot provide given the fact that it is quite common that a small chassies Triumph has been overtaken by one of its own wheels. You see that on facebook every now and then. I just happily potter around driving carfully and so far I have not had any bad experiences driving with wire wheels. It works fine for me!

I choosed to buy 14” wheels from MWS, I think they look better than 13”. Clearance is tight but it works. It would look better if I lowered the from an inch or so I think. Some pictures attached.

IMG_8862.JPEG

IMG_8875.JPEG

IMG_8881.JPEG

Hi Roger

Wow!!

They look great, I wasn't sure about them on a Vitesse but they look superb on your car, maybe the Dark Blue Paint (Royal Blue?) sets them off better.

The 14" size might help too, are they 4.5J or 5.5J width and what tyre size are you using?

Regards

Gary    

4 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

are they 4.5J or 5.5J width and what tyre size are you using?

They are 4½" x 14" Tubeless with 155/65 R14 tyres. I used to have 155/80 and with the lower profile 65 both 13" and 14" have almost the same outer diameter so speedo still correct. Yes, its Royal Blue but the car was Gunmetal Grey from factory.

This is what I bought:

https://shop.mwsint.com/product_details.asp?id=580

4 minutes ago, johny said:

Is the ride comfort affected at all Roger and what pressures do you run them at?

I have not noticed any difference in ride comfort, but that is probably due to me driving carefully. I'm sure it would be a difference If I pushed the car to the limits. Don't remember the pressure tbh.