Mystery Noise Solved (Dynamo)

Narrowed a strange whirring/rattle to my  Dynamo/alternator . I removed it and a take off drive ( which I reckon is for a rev  counter or similar) was rattling around and taking out the casing . One screw later the drive was removed along with a bit of alloy casing . The bearings seem fine . Refitted and the car has never been so quiet and better still saved myself best part of £150 for a new one 👍

What car, there is no drive in either the standard dynamo or alternator as far as I am aware, certainly not for a tachometer. A dynamo is a very simple device

Done a bit of research and apparently the rear end of some of the dynamos have a drive output to connect a cable driven tachometer. The end plate has a threaded portion to screw the cable onto. My car is a 1969 13/60 herald. I have attached a picture of a similar dynamo showing the threaded portion where you connect the cable to . It was all new to me as well . Every day is a school day 👍

IMG_2750.jpeg

Yes there were various configurations of Lucas dynamos and I dont think a tacho drive version was ever used on our Triumphs as if required this was usually taken from the distributor. Anyway will work fine as long as you can still get the occasional drop of lube oil into the rear bush👍

I purchased the car last year and it’s what came with the car . I think the brand is Dynoameter. It’s actually an alternator that retains the appearance of the dynamo . There is no rev counter on my car so removing the drive from the rear of the dynamo won’t cause any issues . 

seems odd to have a tacho on the dynamo as it is not directly connected to the engine, so would be affected by pulley sizes etc. So news to me. But not needed as Triumph used a drive from the distributer

Yes until electronics came in it looks like there were three possible drive configurations used at different times and different manufacturers but not sure the reasons why in each case:

off the dynamo, the distributor or the cam shaft