Ignition timing

Carba1984

19 minutes ago, johny said:

Have you checked the balance of the two carbs? That is adjust the air flowing through each while the linkage between the two is undone then when equal the linkage is retightened...

I have checked the balance and I have it well but with the carburetters connected to each other, I do not see that it influences anything that is connected to each other when I check the air that flows

To be honest if the car is new to you I would check everything in this order so that you can discount all basic problems:

Valve timing, valve clearances, cylinder compression, air filters, carb float levels, ignition timing and operation of distributor advance/retard, carb air balance and finally mixture adustment.

Quite a lot of work but that way you know things are right and then if a problem still exists look elsewhere...

• Like 1

Just now, Carba1984 said:

I have checked the balance and I have it well but with the carburetters connected to each other, I do not see that it influences anything that is connected to each other when I check the air that flows

ok you only need to undo them if theyre out of balance and adjustment is required👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johny said:

To be honest if the car is new to you I would check everything in this order so that you can discount all basic problems:

Valve timing, valve clearances, cylinder compression, air filters, carb float levels, ignition timing and operation of distributor advance/retard, carb air balance and finally mixture adustment.

Quite a lot of work but that way you know things are right and then if a problem still exists look elsewhere...

The engine has been rebuilt 800 kms ago, it should be all regulated, maybe it influences the idle that they have not settled yet, soon I will do head reappeting and valve adjustment, the distributor I think I have it well (17 BTDC) gives me good feelings, I don't know what you mean by valve timing

Valve timing is to see that the cam is in the right position relative to the pistons so that the valves open and close at the right times. With an overhauled engine from a reputable supplier this shouldnt be a problem👍 

Just now, johny said:

Valve timing is to see that the cam is in the right position relative to the pistons so that the valves open and close at the right times. With an overhauled engine from a reputable supplier this shouldnt be a problem👍 

It shouldn't be a problem, I think the problem is in the carburisation, I'll check everything and tell you.

With the engine rebuilt, when should the head retighten and valve adjustment? I'm going to change oil now with 800 kilometres.

42 is a good call  , on a retorque   back each nut 1/2 turn and then retorque  one at a time .

the order is not overly important but you will have to remove the rocker shaft/pedestals to get on all the nuts 

then recheck the valve clearances after.

Pete

• Thanks 1

If you mean the rocker box gasket I would go dry - youre always going to replace it next time so doesnt matter if it sticks. However now there are silicone seals available for some models which are reuseable... 

A lot of the time the rocker cover cork seal leaks mainly due to the pressed steel cover distorting over time. To ensure the cork to head side is flat I applied a thick coating of Hylomar Blue to the rocker cover pressing where the cork seal sits. After 10 minutes I then fitted the cork seal to the cover and put the assembly on a flat surface such as a kitchen top and put some weight on it for 30 minutes. The Hylomar will take up any variation in cover pressing and the cork to head side will be flat. I applied a very thin smear of grease to the head seal area before fitting. This procedure stopped my rocker cover from leaking.

Good luck

Iain

• Thanks 1

silicone composite gaskets are available from some suppliers at extra costs .

a full flat one is only for flat faced alloy covers 

I'm with the glue down with some good sealer but dont stick it to the kitchen table 

you could be in for some trouble at home   ha ! 

Pete

Im using 6mm closed cell neoprene cord at the moment on my standard rocker box and it certainly seals ok. It could probably take 7mm and is a lot cheaper than a silicone jobbie but of course it remains to be seen what its like to remove😲 

• Like 1

On 22/07/2024 at 09:43, Pete Lewis said:

42 is a good call  , on a retorque   back each nut 1/2 turn and then retorque  one at a time .

the order is not overly important but you will have to remove the rocker shaft/pedestals to get on all the nuts 

then recheck the valve clearances after.

Pete

I have seen that it is 46 lb ft. according to the manual the head tighteningIMG_0846.jpeg.649c4e2e0a025fbebd3f7a3de443a3d9.jpeg