Lip above the windscreen on a GT6 MK3

Timos

Hi everyone, 

Im Tim, totally new to owning a triumph, and very excited each day to wake up and work on her.

Im a shipwright by trade so renovating the car in my garage.

I recently started work on the lip above the windscreen (I'm not sure on the official name) I know this is a hot spot for rust and boy did i find some, i also found that the lip was glued onto, possibly, the old lip, is there a company that makes these? sadly the person that did this did not seal it correctly and it became damaged with time.

any help would be much appreciated 

Thanks

Best Regards 

Tim

post-1682-0-03338200-1457084364_thumb.jpg

Good Morning Tim and a very warm welcome. Perhaps i could get the ball rolling.

The roof flange is spot welded to the the corresponding mating flange on top of the windscreen. The joint is concealed by the finisher which is pushed on and glued in place. Quite likely, the rust will extend from the flange up into the roof for perhaps two or three inches. And there we have a problem because while you can buy the finisher the front roof repair panels are NLA. Some people I  believe have successfully adapted a Mini valance whilst others have fabricated their own repair panels. However, if you try Ebay you might find someone selling a repair panel and worth a call to Chic Doig.

Please let us know how you get on and if possible post some photos in a larger format.

rgds

John 

• Like 1

For the old age topic, I looked up chic but no website now for parts, never thought of ebayshop

Grrr

pete

Times are changing Pete but not necessarily for the better. There is less and less personal interaction in our daily lives and we're the poorer for it. If you have a particular query on a product or service  it is harder and harder to find a contact number so that you can speak to a real person. And look at the way libraries have gone; fully automatic. I just find the whole business very sad. Ebay and Amazon are taking over the world.

Hi John and Pete,

Thank you very much for your help, after further inspection (thankfully) the rust does not rise up into the front of the roof, i believe these repairs were done in 1996 so i am in luck, i have treated the rusted areas on the lip (again thankfully not too much rust) but i can see how the water and get in there and just sit, eating away from the inside, is there a good way of stopping this? filling the void with wax oil maybe? I'm pretty good at sealing things (i haven't had a boat sink on me yet (touch wood)) 

I have ordered the part from rimmerbros, mad they are going to like me from all the parts i have just bought haha

Best Regards

Tim

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...