Disassembling rockers

Iain T

I recently took my rocker assembly off and noticed most of the rockers rotated easily and smoothly but a few were notchy. I have a new shaft with matching bushed arms. I'm sure the machine shop did a good job so I'm thinking it may be local wear in the side spacers or the arms sides aren't square? The notchyness corresponds to the arc of the rocker arm movement. On pulling the arms along the shaft I could see no scores or rub marks indicating high spots. I had to install the assembly as I drove to an event last weekend but am now going to investigate.

So before I start and I know to take loads of photos and number everything are there any pitfalls in taking it apart eg which end to start etc. The wsm and Haynes aren't very informative!

Iain

Posted (edited)

Ok I've taken the rocker assembly off and can see that on two rockers with spacers next to the pedestals the spacer washer is flush against the rocker arm but not against the pedestal. It seems either by wear or original poor machining (I suspect wear) the pedestal face isn't square to the shaft. So the washer is only touching a part of the pedestal. I'll post a photo in a minute. So do I ignore or strip down and attempt to reface the pedestal with some wet n dry? The notchyness isn't that bad and certainly nothing the double springs can't handle!

Iain

IMG_20240808_135212398_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240808_135230712_HDR.jpg

Edited by Iain T

Do you think thats the cause of the notchiness Iain? The side load must be minimal as the rocker springs are only for location and not strong. Ive always thought the machining on rocker assemblies looks pretty basic but then it doesnt really matter....

Mystery solved. I striped down the assembly and as expected the bushed arms run perfectly on the shaft. No pickups, scoring or bruising. So when reassembling I again rotated each arm and think it's the slight movement of the spring to the arm mating surface that I can feel. The arms run so well I can feel  that slight rotation of the spring surface rubbing against the arm! All torqued up and valve clearances set. At least it gave me an enjoyable time mucking around with the car😁. I'm throwing that worry bead away ...

Iain