KYK711D Vitesse 1600/6 - Fitting New Wooden Steering Wheel

Hi!  On fitting new steering wheel I found that the wire (PB) to the Horn Brass plate which when you press the Horn,  had come loose from the solder!  Connecting it back up the horn doesn't work?  As well as the original wire does the Horn push need earthing, (There is a Connection for a wire on the base of the Horn push) apart from whats on the lower steering column?

Does this make sense??

It should be wire PB onto brass plate - sliding pencil connector to horn push brass plate - horn push internals, when operated, to its wire outer springs - outer springs to steering wheel boss - boss clamped onto steering column then earth wire across column flexible joint to rack - rack then earthed via wire to engine main earth...

Is the fuse still good (also supplies interior lights)?

Hi Johny!  The two fuses are good?  There is a spring inside the horn push, and on the outer underside there is a wire connector for something?  That pic is of my old horn push!  The new horn push has a wire connector where the spring arm is

Ah ok so theres got to be a wire from the centre terminal of the new push to the pencil - hopefully the pencil still fits in its hole and is under pressure from the new push to maintain contact with the slip ring? The hard part is how to get a reliable connection to the pencil....

It looks like the red green wire has to be connected to the triumph PB but will that slip ring fit in your housing? Also then how are you supposed to connect the horn push to the pencil? I think the new horn push works the same way as the original and the spring clips earth through the boss to the steering column...

The wire was for demo purpose! There is a pb to go where that rg wire is!

The brass slip ring fits into the top of the steering column sitting above the indicater/light switch indicator.  But under where the boss sits!  On the horn push surround there are 3 press clips to open the back to get inside the spring and you can see the 4th is the spring hooked to the outside to earth the boss?

ok so probably either slip ring will work as long as its connected to wire PB. Next you have to be sure the pencil (moving brass pin against slip ring) fits in hole and maintains good contact. Last you need to do what somebody else did on another very similar thread here....

image.png.00dfe9b9cc9f1bd12b6b40ade37e3dd3.png

Ha! Got there in the end lol 😆  The connection is tight and pressure is good!  Will sort/test tomorrow.   I need it for its first mot since 1985! Tried looking for a thread to no avail!  Johny! Many thanks for your time and help!

I searched under motolita which is the usual make of these wheels. How are you going to connect the wire to the pencil - soldered best but the heat might damage the plastc sleeve or is there a different type supplied with the wheel?

12 minutes ago, johny said:

on here was that packing washers were needed to make sure it contacted the slip ring...

Yes I had to on my boss fortunately I had a bit of nylon tubing that was a good fit over the pencil body that spaced the pencil forward so that the  sprung brass pin made contact the ring.

Iain

• Thanks 1

Hi Johny!  The heat of the solder melted the solder on the Centre wire which holds the top and bottom together!  So will have to have a new one!  Also text the company who sells the Pencil with the contact attached for measurements as mine has a Springatex boss? But got Horn working with broken vitesse Pencil one, at least I know what to do now?

The thread on here said that Motalita pencil fitted a Mountney boss but of course thats no guarantee it will also fit Springalex although think theres a good chance.... Anyway with that shoulder it doesnt matter if not a tight fit in the boss hole as the spring inside will keep it pushed up in place👍