Windscreen wiper movement

Chris A

Hi all,

The wipers on my 13/60 park as they should but when I tested them today they only went about 1/2 way across the screen before returning. When parked there is a fair amount of slack in the them, i.e. they can be moved by hand before any resistance is felt.

I know the park  position can be adjusted within the wiper unit but is there another contact that stops the sweep and starts the return movement that can be adjusted. Any help much appreciated before I open up the box.

I know the box should be greased but should it be stuffed full or just lightly greased, might as well replace the grease if the box is opened.

It is purley academic and for the French MOT as living in Normandy the wipers never get used 🙄

Strange as the stroke is set by the gearwheel operator diameter! I suppose if there were loads of slack (theres always some) its possible that the wheel keeps turning but the wipers are left behind but then you expect something similar at both ends of travel? System should only be tested with screen wet but think your box and cable need investigating...

Not packed with grease but well greased to keep everything coated👍

1 hour ago, johny said:

System should only be tested with screen wet

Garden hose spraying water on the screen to keep it wet during the test.

1 hour ago, johny said:

if there were loads of slack (theres always some) its possible that the wheel keeps turning but the wipers are left behind but then you expect something similar at both ends of travel?

I think it did sound as if the motor was still trying to move the wipers at the end of the sweep before they returned.

In the past they did go all the way, most of the time, so maybe it's just a question of a good service, check over all the bits for tightness.

Pretty sure it won't get done this week as we go to the Normandy beaches on Tuesday for a break from eating crème fraîche, Camembert etc. and eat fish, seafood & oysters. . . .

Just been out to give them a go, while kettle boiling for a cuppa. No difference with engine running, just starting the car puts a smile on my face let alone using it.

Giving the arm a little, very little, push is enough for it to go the full distance.

I'm inclined to think it just needs a bit of TLC, which hammer - large, small or rubber?

11 minutes ago, johny said:

Nice on the food front!

Hope so, although the coquille Staint Jacque season is over. Last there in February, visit to Gold beach for our Golden wedding anniversary.

The only failure mode I can come up with is that the operating track inner has got stretched somewhere and is acting like a spring. It gets pushed ok but then when  being pulled back stretches out a bit before finally starting to operate the wipers again....

Never taken mine out but know it has to engage with the wiper wheel boxes like a rack and pinnion but I suppose you just take off the wipers arms first and then put them back in the right positions?

the old trick was to remove the wiper arms  stick a card needle on the spline drive

pull the rack out and turn it over, note the needle position and turn them both  1/2 turn from there stopped position 

re insert the upside down rack and hope the drives now show 1/2 turn from the original 

then the rack runs on unsed part of the wheel box gear and some slack is lost 

pete

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the old trick was to remove the wiper arms  stick a card needle on the spline drive

pull the rack out and turn it over, note the needle position and turn them both  1/2 turn from there stopped position 

re insert the upside down rack and hope the drives now show 1/2 turn from the original 

then the rack runs on unsed part of the wheel box gear and some slack is lost 

pete

Thanks Pete, sounds like a good tip