Triumph Vitesse mk2 crank pulley

martin mynott

I'm currently looking for a Triumph Vitesse mk2 crank pulley so that I can fit a new 8 bladed fan to my 1968 MK1.

Any help would be appreciated in finding one, although I will only require the fan adaptor as the pulley is the same.

(It's the one on the right MK2)

Many thanks,

Martin

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-03 at 18.13.07_ef2ab776.jpg

Mk1 or Mlk2, that pulley is still fifty years old!    And the damper part was made with rubber like car tyres.   In the heat and oil of the engine bay it will have perished, swollen and cracked, but it's impossible to tell if it still works as a damper without testing.  I'm glad to test yours and tell you if it, does still work!

But check that TDC on the pulley coi sides with real TDC, as the outer ring of the damper cans spin on the hub.   

John

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Mk1 or Mlk2, that pulley is still fifty years old!    And the damper part was made with rubber like car tyres.   In the heat and oil of the engine bay it will have perished, swollen and cracked, but it's impossible to tell if it still works as a damper without testing.  I'm glad to test yours and tell you if it, does still work!

But check that TDC on the pulley coi sides with real TDC, as the outer ring of the damper cans spin on the hub.   

John

Thanks for that advice, I will get a new replacement seal ordered up.

You misunderstand.  I mean the rubber ring IN the pulley, between the hub and the outer, 'inertia' ring.   This is not an item.that can be serviced, indeed I know of very few companies that can replace it, although the usual suppliers sell reproductions.

John

Just now, JohnD said:

You misunderstand.  I mean the rubber ring IN the pulley, between the hub and the outer, 'inertia' ring.   This is not an item.that can be serviced, indeed I know of very few companies that can replace it, although the usual suppliers sell reproductions.

John

Ah yes that's the one I was thinking of, but not sure who would supply it, I've been looking at the usual suppliers, Rimmer Bros, ANG, Canley Classics & James Paddock, and haven't found one yet. so any help would be appreciated in that direction.

Just now, martin mynott said:

Ah yes that's the one I was thinking of, but not sure who would supply it, I've been looking at the usual suppliers, Rimmer Bros, ANG, Canley Classics & James Paddock, and haven't found one yet. so any help would be appreciated in that direction.

Can this part be replaced?

2 minutes ago, JohnD said:

NO, NO, NO!!!    NOT the oil seal, I speak of the crank pulley viscous rubber damper!!!!

See Courier, No.472, October 2019, p.68, with part 2 the following month. 

John

Ah sorry my mistake, I thought it was a rubber seal behind the crank pulley. so a viscous rubber damper, I will have a look for one of those, mind you I haven't managed to find a MK2 pulley or fan adaptor yet, but mine isn't leaking so I was going to leave it in place and just replace the fan adaptor (with a MK2) so that I can get a new 8 Bladed fan. Any idea of a part number, and is the courier on line (old issues)?

The pulley assemblies are no longer available new and as John says IF you find the part with the timing marks on it can move relative to the front vee pulley part the rubber joint between them has failed. This means your ignition timing cannot be set using the marks because they no longer indicate correctly where the piston is and you must look for a good secondhand replacement....

22 minutes ago, martin mynott said:

Ah sorry my mistake, I thought it was a rubber seal behind the crank pulley. so a viscous rubber damper, I will have a look for one of those, mind you I haven't managed to find a MK2 pulley or fan adaptor yet, but mine isn't leaking so I was going to leave it in place and just replace the fan adaptor (with a MK2) so that I can get a new 8 Bladed fan. Any idea of a part number, and is the courier on line (old issues)?

Thanks John, I've found the article and printed it off, although as I said if mines not leaking I'll probably leave it for now? 

• Confused 1

You're not a troll, are you Martin?  Such persistent misunderstanding is a feature of such people.   But giving the benefit of doubt, one more time....

The rubber IN the pulley has nothing to do with oil sealing, while the rubber in an oil seal has nothing to do with viscous damping.   If you will.please read my article, perhaps you can understand.

John

Edited by JohnD
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, martin mynott said:

Wow that's a lot just for that part, but i'm sure mine is ok at the moment

So VF say it's very popular with the TR6 racing fraternity. At normal driving revs it's not required.

Iain

8 hours ago, JohnD said:

You're not a troll, are you Martin?  Such persistent misunderstanding is a feature of such people.   But giving the benefit of doubt, one more time....

The rubber IN the pulley has nothing to do with oil sealing, while the rubber in an oil seal has nothing to do with viscous damping.   If you will.please read my article, perhaps you can understand.

John

Definitely not, just Triumph Enthusiast and always have been.

8 hours ago, JohnD said:

John

Yes, I will be reading it, and in the meantime is it worth testing?

6 hours ago, martin mynott said:

Yes, I will be reading it, and in the meantime is it worth testing?

Only if you want it testing!  If so, PM me and I'll send you my email.   The only problem.us getting the pulley to me.   It about 2 kilos and postage costs.

Joh 

10 hours ago, JohnD said:

Ah!  The 'Rattler' damper.

Yes they do rattle when the engine stops and the rods fall to the bottom of each slot. The sound is odd but they do work for race engines.

Iain

On 24/08/2024 at 18:52, JohnD said:

NO, NO, NO!!!    NOT the oil seal, I speak of the crank pulley viscous rubber damper!!!!

See Courier, No.472, October 2019, p.68, with part 2 the following month. 

John

Thanks for the write up reference John. What’re you doing analysis wise? I’m a computer programmer in my day job so might be able to knock up a mini program / bit of python scripting or similar to assist if you’re currently doing any manual data analysis steps.