Herald - Install D Type onto 3 Rail Gearbox

Jon J 1250

17 hours ago, DanMi said:

Overdrive in a Herald is not period correct anyway (good mod though)

Factory-supplied optional extra back in the day, but most sold by far were non O/D.

I used a Spitfire iv box with J-type, again not 'period correct' but no-one sees anything bar the gearlever.

5 hours ago, johny said:

Sorry Colin found several sources that say Herald was never offered with OD by the factory. I wonder if that was because the power wasnt there to be able to pull the weight and a higher ratio😭 

hmmm, I know the comment was light hearted and expect you already know 😆 but I don’t think Heralds struggle with overdrive, even the Standard 8 and 10 with much less power were offered with it as an option.

Although I think we can all accept overdrive was never in the Herald options list, it is feasible you could get it as a special order if you were prepared to wait for your car to be built or as a dealer fit upgrade like the twin carb kit or servo brakes and other tweaks.

Edited by Jon J 1250

Not sure about Triumph doing it as even the official wiring diagrams dont include the appropriate section for overdrive. As for the power, especially in the earlier versions, I meant that Triumph could have considered the existing gearing of a Herald correct for a possible 4 people and luggage on board and the extra from overdrive would be wasted. After all they were billed as family cars rather than sports model werent they?

On 22/09/2024 at 13:31, johny said:

Sorry Colin found several sources that say Herald was never offered with OD by the factory. I wonder if that was because the power wasnt there to be able to pull the weight and a higher ratio😭 

Dammit I hate it when that happens... now I have to go through years of old correspondence to find the owners who had the Herald with O/D from new; I have also seen it 'remarked upon' as available for the earlier cars but NOT the 13/60 however: until I can prove it, it's only fair to assume it never happened. I'll either put it up or shut it up!

• Haha 1

Update: well it seems I remembered wrongly; overdrive was NEVER a factory option however in my own defence I'm now trying to find proof of at least one and possibly two Heralds that were converted at the dealership - I think before being received by their new owners, but may have been converted within a short space of ownership using Spitfire parts going by letters they sent me years back. I remember one being well upgraded with twin carbs etc and commenting that the later 12/50 would have been a good candidate. I'll keep sorting through boxes of correspondence in hopes that something turns up to confirm or clarify.