Vitesse 2 liter - intermittent resonance / faint "grinding" between 2500 and 2750 rpm

James H

11 minutes ago, James H said:

I'm scratching my head again since the photo in the link provided by Johny and Iain does clearly show a 3/8 hole lower down... guess

Fixing this one off bolt completely removed my extreme drivetrain vibration. Its there trust me The Man from Canleys Classics told me and he was right.

36 minutes ago, JohnD said:

The correct orientation is bleeding obvious

Not to within less than 5 thou. As I said I think those two holes are slightly oversized or the bell housing side is a clearance hole so won't accurately position the belhousing. This has been covered on previous topics in the forum. My bell housing when measured with a DTI on the flywheel to the bell housing GB rear aperture was nearly 30 thou out. With the bolt it measured 3 thou.

Iain

Edited by Iain T

18 hours ago, Iain T said:

Not to within less than 5 thou. As I said I think those two holes are slightly oversized or the bell housing side is a clearance hole so won't accurately position the belhousing. This has been covered on previous topics in the forum. My bell housing when measured with a DTI on the flywheel to the bell housing GB rear aperture was nearly 30 thou out. With the bolt it measured 3 thou.

Iain

So the bolt is out and as expected the holes are oversized although the 13mm bolt in there actually seems evenly loose throughout so maybe by chance or other everything is actually perfectly lined. In any case can someone kindly tell me the exact inner diameter of said holes so I can find something to test it with ? I'm in France and dont have a 3/8" bolt to hand...

Edited by James H

50 minutes ago, Iain T said:

I'm sure the others are 5/16 or possibly 8mm. As to the odd 3/8 there is no metric equivalent. Sorry you've been Triumph'd!

Iain

Its ok I just got lucky and found a 3/8" bolt in my Dolomite Sprint spares.

However for better or worse its an absolutely perfect fit so despite the odd oversized hole maybe everything does align perfectly regardless, maybe first locating on the dowel and then inserting the two starter motor bolts is all it takes, hence also the bolt kits available not including an extra 3/8" bolt...

Could there be another explanation for why yours and others were out of alignment ?

Edited by James H

43 minutes ago, James H said:

could there be another explanation for why yours and others were out of alignment ?

Yes the kit is wrong! The forum's Grand Wizard Pete Lewis has commented this odd bolt is widely missed by many.....

If you have used 8mm bolts which are slightly larger diameter could that be a reason why yours is possibly not that out of line? At least it will now be correct unless the 8mm bolts prevent rotational alignment.....🤔

Iain

1 minute ago, Iain T said:

Yes the kit is wrong! The forum's Grand Wizard Pete Lewis has commented this odd bolt is widely missed by many.....

If you have used 8mm bolts which are slightly larger diameter could that be a reason why yours is possibly not that out of line? At least it will now be correct unless the 8mm bolts prevent rotational alignment.....🤔

Iain

This is an area of the car I haven't previously touched so all is down to the po, I didn't loosen any other bolts, I just removed the one in question and found that by testing with a perfect fitting 3/8" bolt that for whatever reason it was perfectly aligned, maybe just luck :)

• Like 1

the old orig parts list shows for attachment to engine 

HN2008  nut   12 off

lock washer   WL0208  12 off

HB0812  bolt 5/16unf      9 off

HN2009        Nut 3/8unf  1  off

WL0209    Washer 3/8"   1 off

132872  dowel bolt    3/8 unf   1 off  ( now HB912

and something ive not spotted before  clutch hsg to gearbox  

a WU 3908    wedglok bolt  ( these have a tapered shank for  a sized fit)1off

does it show where the all go ..............not a hope 

Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the old orig parts list shows for attachment to engine 

HN2008  nut   12 off

lock washer   WL0208  12 off

HB0812  bolt 5/16unf      9 off

HN2009        Nut 3/8unf  1  off

WL0209    Washer 3/8"   1 off

132872  dowel bolt    3/8 unf   1 off  ( now HB912

and something ive not spotted before  clutch hsg to gearbox  

a WU 3908    wedglok bolt  ( these have a tapered shank for  a sized fit)1off

does it show where the all go ..............not a hope 

Pete

12 nuts and washers for 9 x 5/16" bolts, only 1 x 3/8" bolt and a "wedglok bolt" whereas the new kits include 10 x 5/16" bolts and 2 x 3/8" bolts needed for the starter, whats that all about ?

"does it show where the all go ..............not a hope" 😂

there are 4 of these in the diff    front plate 

as the holes are bigger than the 3/8 bolts 

and if one comes loose  it will lock the prop

which was a reputable  recon diff  and had std bolts fitted which 

did come loose and  the only time in life we needed recovery 

whirr clonk bang

Pete