Vitesse 2 liter - cooling (and fuel) setup for extreme heat with no overheating

James H

3 hours ago, James H said:

Been out all morning in the car and its frequently dropping slightly below temp when cruising, many have mentioned temps rising as expected but no talk of temps dropping, is this also perfectly normal considering its 21°C out and I'm still on the 88° stat ?

As I say engine temperature will go up and down and the gauge reading is pretty unimportant because who knows what actual temperature it relates to? The only critical thing is if theres a problem such as poor running or boiling over (assuming youre using water based coolant this last protects you from ever damaging the engine through overheating). Really it would be prudent to run the engine until it does this and take note of the gauge reading so in future youll know if youre getting close to that point....

1 minute ago, johny said:

As I say engine temperature will go up and down and the gauge reading is pretty unimportant because who knows what actual temperature it relates to? The only critical thing is if theres a problem such as poor running or boiling over (assuming youre using water based coolant this last protects you from ever damaging the engine through overheating). Really it would be prudent to run the engine until it does this and take note of the gauge reading so in future youll know if youre getting close to that point....

Cheers Johny, hows the feasibility study coming on, are we close ?

23 minutes ago, johny said:

of course with a rolling start speedo inaccuracy has less effect on the time measured doesnt it....

My eyes are going again...

I don't even have one, the kind suggestion for the use of GPS readings was actually a plea 🤪

What rpm are we going to be doing in 4th at 60 mph ?

Ah yes the back axle ratio used will make a big difference with a 4.11 giving an unfair advantage on acceleration...

Its all over my head Johny... thats why having merely come up with the idea I then burdened you with all the hard work... still when all is set in place and ready, you floor it, I'll be feathering !

4 minutes ago, johny said:

Right I'll throw it right back at you - youve got to confirm your axle ratio first😂

If it makes things fair, I'll do it !

Since we're all scattered all over the place it'll be great to have a reference for all Triumph six cylinders, not just Vitesses, that is relatively safe and easy to do 👍

The only possible issue I can think of is if its best done in good weather those of us over the border will get our times in within a matter of days while the UK times could arrive anywhere between now and spring 2025  🤪

Just now, johny said:

Its not so much fair as relevant because the test is to give a guide as to how well our engines are set up but unless all axle ratios are the same (3.89) it becomes pretty meaningless☹️ 

Ooooh, ok so you said with the T9 in 4th it'll be 1:1 so you just need to know what diff I've got ?

• Like 1

Ok the pennys dropped, since we both have 2 litre Mk1 Vitesses we test the theory and if others want to contribute times, so much the better...

So it turns out its actually a Mk2 3.89, we're all good !

Iain mentioned on the other thread that "Your final drive ratio is odd. BGH and Chris the main guy are masters of the T9 and very helpful and always open for a chat."

I since discovered an alarming receipt in the cars history for a 5th gear so that needs investigating but 4th should be ok 👍

IMG_0209.JPG

Edited by James H

Sensing your growing self doubt Johny I bit the bullet and finally convinced the wife to jump in the car with me ( she actually ended up trying to convince me to do more runs ! ) and do a preliminary run...

So using a C60 GPS speedometer with a passenger and the aforementioned "emergency tool kit" still in the car I maintained a steady 20mph until she said go, in 4th, in the dry, on the level.

The average of four runs was, drum roll please... 14 secs (best was 13.5)

The tacho read approx 1300 rpm at 20mph, forgot to check at 60.

If its appalling its because I floored it instead of feathering it !

So I've got the ball rolling and however this rates I will end up winning even if we're the last two ICE cars on the road 🤣

Hmmm new the Vitesse was billed as accelerating faster than an E type (up to 30mph) but I suppose back then everyone was on drugs😵‍💫 I'll get cracking on testing mine but is yours soft or hard top?

Not telling... might serve as an excuse later

• Haha 1