Snail cam replacement

Steve Shelley

If you mean the rear brake adjuster similar to a Spot 1500 the adjuster is held on by two nuts on studs going into the casting of the adjuster, normally undo the two nuts and it pulls off from the front of the plate. If you have a nut welded on? not rusted on then you need to cut it off. If rusted on apply heat or penetrating oil and undo or even cut off the nut as it sounds as if the adjuster is scrap.Graham

For cutting hacksaw blade on its own or dremel drill with small cutting disc, you may need quite a few as these are quite weak.

image.png.064fd7211cb8ed2c184625916ef07f4c.png

Part 519762?

Graham

21 minutes ago, Graham C said:

If you mean the rear brake adjuster similar to a Spot 1500 the adjuster is held on by two nuts on studs going into the casting of the adjuster, normally undo the two nuts and it pulls off from the front of the plate. If you have a nut welded on? not rusted on then you need to cut it off. If rusted on apply heat or penetrating oil and undo or even cut off the nut as it sounds as if the adjuster is scrap.Graham

For cutting hacksaw blade on its own or dremel drill with small cutting disc, you may need quite a few as these are quite weak.

image.png.064fd7211cb8ed2c184625916ef07f4c.png

Part 519762?

Graham

image.png.43fe7dc40acc85a0f422802640a769a0.png

Sorry, it appears your first message is missing some text which is not helping.

If you remove the part what is your intention?

The snail cam 120114 and spindle 105667 are no longer available, so do you have some NOS?

To remove it then grind off the head of the spindle if you wish to save the cam but then you need a new spindle.

Sorry not much help, but we have some good Herald experts who have better knowledge.

If you can explain your intention upon removing it the It could help.

Graham

12 hours ago, Graham C said:

image.png.43fe7dc40acc85a0f422802640a769a0.png

Sorry, it appears your first message is missing some text which is not helping.

If you remove the part what is your intention?

The snail cam 120114 and spindle 105667 are no longer available, so do you have some NOS?

To remove it then grind off the head of the spindle if you wish to save the cam but then you need a new spindle.

Sorry not much help, but we have some good Herald experts who have better knowledge.

If you can explain your intention upon removing it the It could help.

Graham

Hi, Graham. This is the first time I have used this forum and I am trying to find how it works 

I have some replacement parts arriving today, I know a supplier who has some old stock left. I have replaced the back plate on one side with a new one, but couldn't get a driver's side one. This is the component I have replaced, the bottom adjuster has rounded off, it had a nut welded on it that sheared off. I want to replace the adjusters so that this backplate is usable, either by me or someone else. I was trying to work out how to remove the old cams, it looks like I have to grind the top off and knock them out 

17 minutes ago, Steve Shelley said:

I have to grind the top off and knock them out 

yes not the best job  but im pretty sure from years back that is the way to remove the failed one  ,    is there a circlip on a good one ??  

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

Yes now makes sense, it may make sense to wait for you spare parts before doing anything,the spare parts may give you some idea. However if spindle damaged then needs removing.

Looking at the parts picture and your photo, looks to me as if  the spindle is pushed through the back plate and slots into the cam square hole, then the end of the spindle end is press flat to hold everything in place.

Sorry I have not seen this arrangement in real life, as I have Spits  1500 and a GT6.

Graham

3 hours ago, Graham C said:

Yes now makes sense, it may make sense to wait for you spare parts before doing anything,the spare parts may give you some idea. However if spindle damaged then needs removing.

Looking at the parts picture and your photo, looks to me as if  the spindle is pushed through the back plate and slots into the cam square hole, then the end of the spindle end is press flat to hold everything in place.

Sorry I have not seen this arrangement in real life, as I have Spits  1500 and a GT6.

Graham

Hi Graham, the replacement parts have arrived, I have got one of the old ones off, you grind the pin down where it comes through the snail cam and knock it out with a drift, it came out easily. The top of the pin acts like a rivet. I have trial fitted the new one, but I clean and paint the back plate before fitting fully, you could easily do the job on the car 

Thank you 

If it can wait a week (I'm on the mainland combining work and pleasure for the next week) and if you don't get replacements I have a set in the roofspace; the same size is also used on other cars (Ford Anglia from memory) so if nothing else 

I can dig out the packet and list alternatives for anyone trying to source them in future.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If it can wait a week (I'm on the mainland combining work and pleasure for the next week) and if you don't get replacements I have a set in the roofspace; the same size is also used on other cars (Ford Anglia from memory) so if nothing else 

I can dig out the packet and list alternatives for anyone trying to source them in future.

Thank you, I have replacement parts, but these may be useful to someone else, they are getting difficult to find now 

Steve, glad it went well.

I was hoping Colin would pop up sooner as I thought he would have spares of this part and the knowledge, a lot better than me.

Not sure where he stores his spare parts, his garage must be a Tardis.

Graham