Flywheel skimming - Herald 13/60

Eddie

Changing the clutch and gearbox on my 13/60, and have found that the flywheel is slightly scored by someone in the past not changing the clutch before it had worn down to the rivets.

To have the flywheel skimmed will cost £60 plus the hassle of removing and re-fitting.

So, is it worth it? What will be the consequences if I just leave it as it is?

All advice gratefully received - thanks in advance. :)

Faster wear of the new clutch plate.

As you have the gearbox out, the added 'hassle' of removing the flywheel is minimal.

But you must be able to undo the bolts and re-torque them.   This may be one situation when the 'rope down the spark plug hole' is a good idea!

But use No.6, minimise twist stress on the crank.

And check your torque wrench first, to make sure it's in calibration.

The locating pins for the clutch cover in the face of the flywheel must come out for skimming.   Your machine shop should do that, but don't forget to ask for them back if they haven't knocked them back in.

John

Canley's one comes without ring gear. Wins International have one with ring gear for the same price.

Managed to get it off with no problems. Shaped a lump of wood to wedge between ring gear and chassis and was able to undo the bolts quite easily.

Spigot bearing has a small chunk missing from it so I will get a new one of those too.