Luggage Rack for Herald

Berty

I have just purchased a jasmine 13/60 convertible and am having some minor bodywork done to start it off in tip top condition.

i wish to fit a luggage rack at the same time so we have more space to go camping.

Anyone got any recommendations? 

i prefer the look of the wooden slats on this one - http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RX1330 to the all stainless steel ones.....

Cheers

Berty

Hello Berty.

The rack you have highlighted is the classic traditional item and can be sourced second-hand at good prices. If some of the wood looks a bit tired it can easily be sanded down and varnished etc. If you do buy used, ensure you have all the rubber pads etc to protect your paintwork. 

Originally classic car drivers would (and quite correctly) have the raised end of the rack closest to the cockpit; this would prevent the attached luggage hitting the occupants on the head during emergency braking. However these days owners tend to have the raised end towards the boot to stop the luggage sliding off.

So, one can only deduce that:

1. old style classic drivers were better at securing luggage on racks but heavy footed on the brake !! OR 

2. modern day drivers are useless at securing luggage to a rack but are more competent at progressive braking !!

Whatever you decide a good rack with a holiday luggage thereon looks quite neat and very traditional.

Good luck.

Richard.

Thanks for your reply Richard - I had been pondering the passenger vs luggage security conundrum.....

What I hadn't realised is that these luggage racks are not bolted on but have some sort of brackets which clip onto the boot? 

Does anyone have any experience of this ?

Thanks

Berty