gearbox removal, clutch replacement and o/d addition

Dave pb

Dave , yes im well aware of gear stick sizzle and rattles , but thats not not the sort of noises im on about

Backlash chatter is the general jumble of rotational clatter you get from any manual gearbox

At idle drop the clutch , or push the stick and these will reduce

ie same sort of effect the 3 springs have

pete

Pete, I believe we are both saying the same thing. Your point is the springs reduce the clatter or rumble from the gearbox. Yes agreed

My point is in a new Herald straight out of the showroom, I have owned one, you didn't get that clatter, it was only after many miles it appeared.  However, with the Vitesse there is an increase in torque which can causes wear earlier than the Herald. Yes the springs reduce the clatter, but they should also reduce the wear in some areas by absorbing the energy.

Dave

I thought he was going to replace the box before handing it over I pretty much condemned it

but understood a replacememt was planned before sale ??

When i went out in it sounded decidedly like the mainshaft tip had failed

if you go to MP have the 18mm mainshaft and deadicated input shaft or a dolly 1850 input and change the clutch disc to suit.

pete

Thanks Pete, he did change the gearbox, but the replacement one is noisy in 1st, second, and 3rd and it leaks from the clutch to gearbox joint. If he was pushed for time the chances are that he may have forgotten the copper washer. All will be revealed next month when I take the box out.