Spitfire 1500 M1144 Brake Pad shims.

DerekS

I've recently had to change my brake pads due to grease contamination caused by seal failure. I've gone for the 1144's again of course, from the Club shop.I used standard anti-squeel shims with the first set, but with the new set I've used the adhesive pads that came in the kit. These seem to alter the "feel" of the brake pedal and I'm not absolutely convinced that I like it, there's a slight "softness" initially to the brake pedal before they bite. I'm considering going back to solid steel shims.

I followed the "bedding in" procedure and they do work very well indeed.

I would be interested in any thoughts, opinions etc...

Thanks for your replies on this guys, you've helped clarify my thoughts. The shims I have are as you describe, Pete, and will be going back in tomorrow.

Pad chatter... here's a question... if pads are chattering, can they be pushing the caliper pistons back in slightly so when you come to brake, you have a similar effect to air in the system, i.e. the brake pedal needs a couple of pushes to bite? There's been one or two threads about excessive pedal travel recently and I'm wondering if it's something else for the check-list. Just a thought.

Ther can be a difference in pin dia holes which wont help but many find whilst 1144 stop very well

you can get a lot of clatter , aggravated by excess end float makes it worse, seems the float on the hub

clatters the pads , I dont know if its noise from pads panting on discs or its pads rattling in the caliper

needs some one to hang under and observe !!!!!!!

Bit of thread drift here but I can't resist it, the guy at the local car accessories shop gave me a very useful tip when I was buying some Wynns brake/clutch cleaner. It's excellent for getting oil or grease marks off clothing without damaging them. Not that you get marks on your good clothes...

• Like 1