New Member with a MkIV Spitfire

Another car to add to my collection of "cars needing restoration!"

I have two Triumph Stags, one has a really bad dose of tin worm that I am (very slowly) working on! The other is reasonable body work but has a stuck clutch and some interesting electrical issues! So, neither are currently on the road.

So, as I have plenty to do already, on Saturday I bought a Triumph Spitfire MkIV with a 1500cc engine as a "car as a kit"! The chassis is sound, the body needs a small amount of work, then I need to work out where all the rest of the many boxes of bits goes as it it just a rolling chassis!

Expect lots of questions as I try to work out what goes where!  It came with an engine, but I have no idea of the provenance, so when the body is done, I'll be stripping teh engine to see what's needed with that as well.

The gearbox is a 4 speed - I've heard there is an overdrive version - is that correct. Is it worth tracking down and fitting?  

Cheers

Peter

yes its  possible and desirable,, you can modify the exiting gearbox with a OD mainshaft the  rest of the gearbox is the same

if this is a  1500 then the gearbox is likely to be single rail and these tend to have J type overdrive plus its all the mounts switches  propshaft  speedo cables angle drives etc to fit to suit 

the single rail box is not as easy to get  parts as the more commonly used 3 rail 4 sync. with Dtype OD

Pete