Engine Identification

Meeze

Hi All

I have a late MKII GT6, Comm No. KC81310 first registered 10.09.1970 and the engine is a MKIII KE10893HE.

Firstly, would it be possible that this could have been fitted in the factory and secondly, I also believe that this is a recessed block so does this mean that it has the domed cylinder, high compression.? 

Finally, could some one fill me in on the differences between the two engines 

Many thanks

Maria

Recessed block head gasket has a small rectangular tab sticking out the rear of the head

lookmdown below the back of the rocker cover you should see it protruding

if its not visible expect a flat block

the only way to check for domes is visible down a spark plug hole

best if an endoscope is available

if you measure the head depth you compare the dimensions on chris witor, site techical data

pete

Thanks for your top tips. I can confirm that it is recessed and I do recall that the cylinders were domed when I had the head unleaded.

This has all come about as I am going to order a Heritage Certificate and realised that I had a MKIII head

Maria   

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I've received the Heritage Certificate which I recommend and my car came out of the factory with KD/80451-E engine, which I believe to be anti-smog!  I presume this to be something to do with the emissions, so can some one please give me a bit of info on what Triumph did to this engine to make it anti-smog? 

The previous owner has informed me that the original engine was warn, so he replaced this with an 'KE'

Thanks

Maria

The domed pistons were introduced at KE10001 onward along with the recessed block and head number 218225. The cam was also changed to reduced the emissions. The block, head and cam were then common with the TR6 and 2.5PI Saloon. This took place in 1972/3. Idea was both to use common/same parts on different Triumph models and also to reduce the emissions.

The KD engine would have had a lower compression head and a cam with less overlap. As a result the power output would have been a bit down on your present engine. It was used on some export cars. So the previous owner was improving things.

Thanks,

Dave