Drifting in bearing races

Waynebaby

Hi All,

Just a quick question about drifting in new bearings (for rear hubs in this case) When drifting in bearing races should the bore of the hub be greased or are the bearings fitted dry? As they are an interference fit I'm guessing that the two surfaces shouldn't be lubricated. Can anybody tell me if my guess is correct?

Wayne

post-995-0-76027900-1481131308_thumb.jpg

In general there will be a small clearance on the bearing housing but a tight press drift on fit to the drive shaft

this allows the outer race to rotate by drag this spreads the car weight load around the race during its life

so rear hub is hand fit in the hsg but tight on shaft

front hub is tight in hub but loose on stub shaft

pete

Thanks John,

I used a 5/8" socket on the inner bearings but did use the old oil seal to drive in the the new seal in the way you suggested. I'm not ready yet to insert the half shaft and attempt to drive on the outer bearing but I am starting to wonder how to best go about that. I don't have a press and so will be using a mallet and figured that I'd use the old outer bearing to drift in/protect the new one, until I realised I'd probably end up with the old bearing stuck on the shaft again if I did that! Is there a clever way to do this or is it just a case of hit it and hope?

Wayne

post-995-0-67290600-1481210513_thumb.jpg

Theres a dedicated tubular drift in the manual but this only knocks the bearing hsg into a starting position

when you add the hub and tighten the centre nut it presses the hsg down the shaft

so look in the book ignore the dimension as its meaninless

its important that when all assembled that the brake shoes site centrally in the drum braking surface

so it should all just pull up fine .......who said that

pete