Fwd crankshaft nut

Webbo

Hello.

This is an option, it's crude and works:

Place socket on the nut and attach the relevant breaker bar. With another piece of substantial hollow metal tube slide that over the breaker bar to to extend its length. Turn the engine by hand until the tube jams against something solid - chassis section or the like.  Your breaker bar may be long enough to negate the use of the hollow tube extension.

Once all that is in position, briefly turn the engine over via the ignition for a second or so.

This action will free the nut.

The principle is the same as Gary has mentioned; whereby you are using the force of the engine to do the work.

Good luck.

Richard.

Stu.

I should have added, although you will probably have realised, that the breaker will need to be positioned on the left hand side of the car, so as the engine turns the socket forces the nut anti-clockwise. You may find, depending if you have the vehicle raised you can use a wooden block resting on the floor with the breaker bar resting on that - the result will still be the same and that is forcing the nut to turn anti-clockwise.

Regards.

Richard. 

Richard,

I tried the method you suggested , the set up worked well but it did not manage to undo the nut. it looks almost like it is rusted on. so I took starter motor out put a clamp on the flywheel ,still would not budge. then I hit the nut the nut with a heavy duty punch and a lump hammer, still did not budge ,so I bolted it back together and gave up.

Stu

ps.  Pete,  cant see any locking device on the Herald

I use a 1/ 2" drive battery impact wrench it shifts these quite easy

an air powered are fine providing you have a decent hose bore to feed it

sorry I read fwd as front wheel drive , which is quite different set up.

So question why do you need the nut off ???

Pete

Hello Stu.

That is on there tight.

My next step would be to heavily soak the nut for a day with penetrating fluid such as Plus Gas or something along those lines. Do not use WD40 as that is purely a moisture dispersant and only useful when nuts and bolts are ACTUALLY turning.

Soak the nut and have a rag held in place around it so that it's constantly in touch with the fluid - keep adding fluid every few hours and replace the rag.

Then try my break bar method again - that should do the trick.

If that fails go to a garage and ask them to air tool shock-it; once freed the nut can be done up and return home to carry on your job.

The break bar option provides a real sense of achievement, the air tool provides a real sense of certainty - depends which goal you want to enjoy !!

Good luck.

Richard.

Pete,                   I  need to change the oil seal in the timing chain cover as there is a slight oil leak.

Richard,  

am a little bit down on enthusiasm at the moment , if and when it picks up that seems like a plan, incidentally,

, I put the breaker bar on the off side but it seems to me it has the same effect whichever side it's on , or am I missing something?

Stu

you need to jam the bar on the chassis rails,  to hold/lock a clockwise turn   of the engine depends if your on top n/s  underneath o/s  depends if the bar want to go up or ...down 

just jam it on something solid....be it chassis , bricks , old toilet or fence post  .. your  preferred choice    ha !

surprisingly i dont see any torque figures in the WSM for these nuts  only in haynes for the 1500 as 150lbft

6cyl is 90-100 lbft

pete

Stu.

We have all been there with various jobs, ranging from a 5 minute tea break to slamming the gargae door and vowing never to look at another classic again !!

You have to visualise the socket turning the nut anti clockwise as the engine spins clockwise. As Pete and I have said you must jam the breaker bar from moving clockwise - the same direction as the engine turns. The natural side is the left as you look at the front of the car as it is easier to stop the bar moving clockwise by using a woodern block etc.

If you have the bar on the right it will work, but you are relying on jamming the bar against the chassis or something suitable and you may not want to do that - it's just personal choice.

Whilst recovering your j'ai de vivre, now would be a good time to get squirting the rust penetrating fluid !! You can do it :) 

Regards.

Richard.

keep fingers  and everything else  out the way  or a trip to AE to remove the bar could be your next excitement 

you could add rent a crowd to hold a length of timber to lever/ keep the socket hard up against the nut so it cant fly off

quick burst on the starter and its off

put  1/2 and 3/8" drive battery 'impact wrench'  ( not a  impact driver) on your easter or good boy wish list... invaluable bits of kit ( not cheap)

the 1/2 for big stuff and the 3/8 for whizzing off almost everything they save lots of time so theres time for a pint at the end of every job !!!

Pete