Vitesse Mk2 master brake cylinder

Robin

Sorry - initilally posted to the wrong section and can't seem to delete it

Picked up these two master cylinders - I'm assuming the smaller one is the brake master? It says Girling 5/8 on the casing.

They need refurbishing - what's the best way of cleaning the insides?

Thanks

post-127-0-72286700-1492453528_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Initially remove the circlip , then tap out the internal piston. You might need to bang the mc hard on the bench to get the piston to move .If the internal bore is scored , scratched its suggested the unit should be changed. The small Girling is a 5/8 or .625 and is for the clutch

Hope this helps

Paul

Initially remove the circlip , then tap out the internal piston. You might need to bang the mc hard on the bench to get the piston to move .If the internal bore is scored , scratched its suggested the unit should be changed. The small Girling is a 5/8 or .625 and is for the clutch

Hope this helps

Paul

Hi Paul - that's really interesting as my Vitesse currently has the larger 0.7 cylinder being used for the clutch so I assumed the 5/8 would be the for the brake. Is my set up the wrong way round? What would happen if I also used the 0.7 for the brake as well?

Thanks

Robin

Hi Paul - this is my current set up. The brake mc has been replaced at some point but I need to replace a seal as there's a very smal leak. I thought I might change it for the 'correct ' mc back hence my question about bore size.

Thanks

Robin

post-127-0-99456700-1492498921_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul - that's really interesting as my Vitesse currently has the larger 0.7 cylinder being used for the clutch so I assumed the 5/8 would be the for the brake. Is my set up the wrong way round? What would happen if I also used the 0.7 for the brake as well?

Thanks

Robin

Hi Robin - the correct set up for Mk2 Vitesse  is for 0.7 for the brake and 0.625 for the clutch . My setup is the Brake MC on the left and the Clutch on the right 

Hope this helps 

Paul 

Paul 

• Like 1

The plastic master cylinder reservoir has gone through a number of stages. First the plastic cover over the existing metal cap, then the plastic cap, then the fully plastic reservoir and cap. All models of the Vitesse had the metal type with no cap cover. Fit what suits you.

Dave

Hi Robin - the correct set up for Mk2 Vitesse  is for 0.7 for the brake and 0.625 for the clutch . My setup is the Brake MC on the left and the Clutch on the right 

Hope this helps 

Paul 

Paul

Hi Paul

Yes you're right - I've now realised that it's the clutch mc that's been changed on my Vitesse not the brake mc. What confused me is the replacement clutch mc actually has ' brake fluid' written on the lid but having now traced the pipes I can see it's actually the clutch mc. As this one has the leak I'll either need to change the seal or replace it with the original 0.625 one once I've cleaned it up. Thanks again, Robin