Sender unit sealing

pageste

I am not certain "one size fits all" is correct and if that is what suppliers are saying then it looks to be another cut the corner option - perhaps this is why and quite often problems with gauges reading incorrectly are common reading issues on the Forum. 

For example, the sender unit for the Herald 13/60 and 2Ltr Vitesse is the same, but for other Triumph models there are different specs; you only need to look at the various ST Parts Manual to confirm that.

The resistance for a sender unit is specifically set for the quantity of fuel in relation to tank size and also the rate of which the needle drops from full to panic. As such the fuel gauge reading is in tandem with what is in the tank - ideally.

I have no doubt that many owners of classic cars, not just Triumph, have been given the old stock phase - "that will do the job mate, they are all the same those makes & models" Oh Really !!!!

Regards.

Richard.

Gully, bend the wire. You know you want to!  :lol:

It pretty much hangs straight down, otherwise I would! :-) More to the point, when it says 1/4 full, it is... If I bent it downwards, it would still say 1/4 full, but be empty.

Gully

We did r

Rays burlington with the fuel gauge wizard, thats got the normal 2" bi metal stabilised gauge but uses a ford fuel tank and sender.

we tried first to capture the float readings by pulling the sender with a stiff wire hooked on the float

but this didnt work ou so next was fill with jerry cans to give MT 1/4 1/2 3/4 the readings are stored by a button and blink codes

then you capture the gauge reading for Mt 1/4 1/2 3/4 full this takes a while as the gauge needs to

settle or you capture a wrong voltage.

end result is its pretty close form being a hoplessly incompatible mix

so its a good way to get things correctly calibrated

it takes a little practice , if we did it again we could be even better.

pete

Just a quick update. I sourced all the parts from Fitchetts so as usual no issue with service or apparent quality. The tank went in without issue but the universal sender I gave up on. I succumbed to temptation and bent the arm but I could never get consistent readings from it, it would work for a while then seemed to go missing in action. In the end I repaired my old unit using cannibalised parts and at this time its working fine. The only other issue I had was the feed pipe into the tank, the original had a 5/16ths but the new tank which Fitchetts make themselves had a 1/4" pipe. Luckily I had some in stock along with the gland. Once again thanks for all the suggestions.