Fuel Pump - Vitesse Mk2

Paul H

Hi . overhauled the fuel pump with a kit from Canleys ie Diaphragm, valves , rubber gasket . outer gasket post-1431-0-68577700-1497865193_thumb.jpg

On dismantling there is a PETROL PUMP - OIL SEAL WASHER mine is ropey to say the least  - I asked canleys and they said it was included though it was too small diameter to go over the diaphragm plunger and the outer circumference too small to sit under the washer cup - see pics . the supplied washer looked like it was for the main bolt to secure the cap at the top see item 2 on the pic   .

Whats does this oil seal washer do ? Is it important to replace and does anybody know where I can purchase 

Thanks in advance 

Paul 

its to keep engine sump splash oil from entering the lower chamber or you get oil leaking out the small lower case breather hole

so it tends to be a rubber washer that fits on the  diaphragm pull shaft.

bear in mind one kit doesnt fit all pumps there are a wide variety of pumps and evolutions about.

its a baffle  washer  rather than a 'oil seal' 

I recently rebuilt a pump with a Canley's kit (albeit for a smaller Herald pump). And I had this problem, I believe you'd be correct that the fibre washer goes on the screw for the cap as that's where I used mine. My kit did come with a mysterious moulded rubber cup that seemed to fit over the shaft and into the recess in the pump body? In the end, I didn't risk using it, instead I reused a slightly better washer/seal from a scrap pump. Perhaps you could cut a washer/seal from some oil resistant rubber or other suitable material?

• Like 1

I recently rebuilt a pump with a Canley's kit (albeit for a smaller Herald pump). And I had this problem, I believe you'd be correct that the fibre washer goes on the screw for the cap as that's where I used mine. My kit did come with a mysterious moulded rubber cup that seemed to fit over the shaft and into the recess in the pump body? In the end, I didn't risk using it, instead I reused a slightly better washer/seal from a scrap pump. Perhaps you could cut a washer/seal from some oil resistant rubber or other suitable material?

Thanks , making a "washer" sounds like a plan . I have some blank grommets which could be used - Is this material suitable ????

Regards

Paul