Help Please - No Spark!!

lil-nicky

Ok its got on, but you say the wire goes over the edge ????

do you mean it gets trapped under the cap ? Thats very wrong

get a small bulb on a lead or a circuit test screwdriver and clip it on the leads you want to test

Dull white pink comes on in normal ign on position
Yellow white comes on when ignition sw is turned to starter
white red comes on when ign sw is turned to starter

How many small blade terminals are on the solenoid one or two ??
IE is there one for the white red and also one for the white yellow
or   ( edit)   is this on an eyelet under the lead that goes to the starter ?

Nicky, I notice you're coil is mounted horizontally on the bulkhead, next to the solenoid?  (all the volts are falling out the end!! (joke))  But seriously, Is the body of the coil properly earthed? Normally the coil is earthed by attachment to the block but where the coil is there may be a poor, or no, earth connection. Also I don't see a wire coming or going to the other LT coil terminal , the view is obscured by the HT lead but I don't see anything nearby that looks like the right wire?

just looking  i dont have a triumph spit !V WSM   i have haynes and dont hold that as gospel because

that shows the ign sw logic   as

term 1 white red  to starter  solenoid 

term 2 Brown feed from battery/solenoid

term 3    has three whites oil psi switch/alt warning lamp and ......ceramic ballast for the coil 

term 4  white /pink to feed the heater fan 

you need to check what your white pink is doing and where its feeding ,   this idea it feed the heater  makes no sense unless you have a seperate ceramic balllast 

on your pic the dull white pink definitley has the look of a resistive wire and that would be picked up from a short  white pig tail on the switch term 3  

let us know what colours are on your switch 

it also show the solenoid as having the two terminals one for white yellow and one for white red    whats yours got???

Pete

Ok I'll check the wiring tomorrow. The solenoid does have two terminals though - one for ignition the other for coil.

As for the mounting that's where it's always been. The coil came like that - feels like it's got a plastic coating on it. What's a sure fire way to earth it?

Looking at the Accuspark range they are all different colours. Presumably these colourings are, or should be, conductive. Multimeter set to ohms, one lead to body of the coil, one lead to battery earth, should show zero ohms if coil is earthed.

Yes, sorry got that completely wrong!  :wub:  Saw a diagram showing and earth connection to the coil body and thought "Ah! Ha!" But further reading suggests this was for radio interference suppression when we had AM/LW radios. Went to two birthday parties yesterday and brains a bit addled by too much cake.