Intermediate Drive Shaft Rubbing on Chassis

1in10

WooHOO!

Please note.   In that pic, I attributed the table to John Thomason, of "Spitfire & GT Originality" fame, some of whose data I added. That's wrong.

The author of the excellent articles "Suspensions Sussed" was Carl Heinlein, then a TSSC Club Officer.

John

gallery_210_41_42409.jpg

Here's a close up of the Leaf Clamps, if you have the Correct sping it should have the Part Number 308485 stamped on the top small Leaf?

My spring had the Word "Cocker" also stamped adjacent, which I believe was the Original Sheffield based Spring Manufacturer? 

Hope you get it sorted.

Regards

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year one and all, and thanks for the updates, which I read from my Tablet.

I have been able to fiddle some spacers and raise a gap between the chassis, and the drive, large enough for a finger when the wheels are on the ground.

Have a I been barking up the wrong tree.

This has reduced the rubbing sound to a certain extent, although there is a slight rubbing noise, when the window is open, and will take a more serious look when I have some spare time.

Gents

Thanks again for you mails.

I jacked her up and had a good look around, as the noise has returned a little, but not as bad as before,

I have taken the pic while on stands, with the wheels removed, for a good look.

It would appear the hub does not move freely, and is quite tight to rotate, although there does appear to be clearance between the Rotoflex Coupling and the spring, although the shaft rests on the chassis when jacked up.

Can anyone confirm which spring this is, as I have always presumed it from a Mk II.

I can't tell much about the bearings as the drivers side is fixed tight with very little movement, but the passenger side is quite firm and has no movement back and forth.

I have more pics, if required, lots.

post-176-0-35950500-1421091765_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It could be a Mk1 2 Litre Vitesse Spring or a Herald Saloon one?

You need to remove it and check the dimensions eye to eye and also from the floor to the underside of the bottom leaf  and check against the data above.

I wouldn't recommend running the car with the incorrect spring, you may ruin the Rotoflex couplings!

Thanks for the info.

I have been driving it like this for the passed three years as that is all I have had it on the road, after taking four years through several garages to get to that point.

I take your point is the anything else I could do to confirm the spring, and is there anyway I can check for damage on the coupling.

The coupling doesn't appear to be in contact with anything, as I said I have loads more pics.

• 2 weeks later...

When the Rotoflex couplings normally fail the rubber starts to perish, crack, split and pull away from the bonded metal sections?

If this isn't happening chances are they should be Ok?

The only way to check the spring is to remove and make sure the dimensions are as previoulsy stated, if its an original spring it should have the part number stamped on the top leaf as stated above.

I've recently swopped the repro spring on my Vitesse for a refurbished original and it was well worth the effort :)

The Car sits and rides far better!

you will need a Spring lifting tool to remove it though, refer to the workshop manual for the best procedure.