Dashboard fuse - Vitesse Mk 2

Paul H

The WSM says that apart from the main fuse box there is a line fuse connection behind the dash which protects the front parking circuit , the tail lamp circuit, and the panel lights circuit. I cant find this fuse connection - Any clues as to what im looking for,  where its located .

Any help appreciated 

Paul 

Paul.

That is a block connector on the left with all the wires in and out, which is correct.

To the R of the photo is your in line fuse adjacent to the control box.

Regards.

Richard.

Paul.

I agree it does look mucky and it seems to have been adapted to "help" with something else.

My suggestion would be to undo it and the check what does or does not respond (i.e. lights etc) when operating switches.

Try this with the ignition off and then ignition on........................DO NOT start the car.

Regards.

Richard.

Paul.

Looking at the photo again, it appears that a spur has been taken from the 4x way connector on the fuse side, but only 1x wire on the other side of the connector which gives the impression that this is the feed wire to the fuse.

I doubt very much the fuse will react to the spur that has been taken and of course interesting to see where that additional red wire goes.

35amp in line fuse is correct for the holder.

Regards.

Richard.

Thanks Richard - appreciated and will laminate your PDF for ref purposes

The plan is to change as many red wires as possible to the correct colour and route as per wiring diagram - 

There looks to be a lot of bullet connectors under the dash mainly for the red wire additions which I dont like and was planning to replace with spade connectors - see pic 

electrical-connector1.jpg.a2ed970d02b502709fea2c0a67c854a2.jpg

I found this YouTube video helpful 

Paul 

Paul.

In the ideal world a wire run should not be interrupted from its termination point - i.e. spade terminal on an instrument and its power source i.e. fuse box.

Of course that is very unlikely and the necessity for spurs is required, pretty much as a house ring main.

Where there needs to be a spur, then the accepted method for safety, convenience and originality is the bullet and necessary 2x way or 4x way connector. In fact if you look at the spurs behind a classic car dash for example then the use of bullet connectors is the norm.  

Joining 2x wires "head to head" can either be an inline bullet or the diagram above or joined soldered and shrink wrap - it really is personal choice.

Modern crimping connectors look out of place I think on a classic and the insulating sleeve type as above is my first choice; once again personal choice.

Different colour wiring is a joy many years later when you need to check continuity whereas a plethora of red wires can be somewhat confusing when trying to identify electrical problems.

Regards.

Richard.