windscreen crack

trigolf

Hi all.

I recently got a chip, with associated 'star' shaped crack in the laminated windscreen on the Vit, after a motorbike threw up a stone. The damage is a chip about the size of a match head and star shaped crack about 1.5cms long. It's not directly in the driver's line of vision but  below it  - about 3 to 4 inches from bottom edge of screen. According to Autoglass, it's not repairable and a new screen is required. The dilemma I have is that I intend to get the car MOT'd - I'm still in favour of it - and I understand that from Autoglass's criteria it will fail because of the location of the screen damage. The other issue is that cosmetically it does'nt look nice and the crack might possibly spread over time. I'm not sure whether to present the car with screen damage as is and see what the inspector says, or get the screen replaced beforehand ? BTW Autoglass were very efficient initially - calling me after I'd requested an appointment, online, to state that they should be able to replace the windscreen but might struggle to source a new one. The helpful lady on the end of the phone said that they would contact me the next day to confirm the appointment and /or if they were having probs getting a screen. I have checked and Rimmer's have them in stock. Two days on and I haven't heard a peep from them !

You intend to get the car MOT'd, so I would run with that idea - you already know that it may fail due to the screen, so nothing to lose albeit going back for a retest; not the end of the world. Additionally (hopefully not) the test may flag other requirements so you could get those sorted at the same time if that situation arises.

Good luck.

Richard.