A post and roof repair 2500 MK 2 saloon

Alun1971

I am currently looking at a Triumph 2500 PI with a view to purchasing it. The vehicle is fairly scruffy but a reasonable runner however I am concerned that it has rot at the base of the A Post. Normally I would fix that type of issue myself however I believe it is a fairly involved job requiring the removal of the front wing and I don't really have time for that. Has anyone got experience of having this area repaired professionally? If so, roughly how much did it cost - so I can assess how much the car is worth?

There is also a fairly large rust scab on the back of the roof - similar question to the above.

Any experiences of doing the repairs yourself would also be useful - my other classic is a Rover P6 so repairs are relatively easy as all the panels unbolt.

IMGP1479.JPG

IMGP1450.JPG

IMGP1473.JPG

no idea on repair costs but  sorry  its a 2500S  not  a PI     its on   su hs6 Carbs   not injection

the roof looks like rust creep from the trim clips  a good clean and filler should clean it up, the Apost is one of those disasters which needs careful weld of some preformed metal added in or your into things like chemimetal  and much sanding

i have used marine epoxy in the past its tough and water proof , does sand , much denser than P38 and such like   

where are you located  some may have recommendations of local repairers

Pete

Thanks for the replies - they are very interesting. The vendor believes the car is one of the last 400 PI models (built in July 1975 but not registered until February 1976) but has had the injection system removed and replaced by carbs in the past. The rear badges just say 2500 MK2 and the vehicle is an automatic. The commission number starts with MN1, which would tie in with 2500 PI facelift model (1974-1975).

The idea is to run the Triumph for a few years while I rebuild my P6 3500 then swap them over and restore the Triumph. I need to make sure it lasts until the restoration without too much deterioration. The specification does seem strange - any further info would be appreciated. Any thoughts on the car's value? It is a scruffy runner with MOT.

Thanks Pete. I don't know the engine number, I would have to ask.

As for condition, I would say it is at or just below A2 except for the A-post. This drags it down to A3 on bodywork. The vendor wants closer to the A2 price than the "shed" value.

On the basis its easy to change a vin /comission plate than an engine   I would want to see that 

As with carbs and no power stg,.  It has all the clues of a bit of a ringer

No body in the right mind would remove p stg  ,  somethings not quite right with the PI one of the last statement

Pete

Thanks Pete - I am going to concentrate on rebuilding / recommissioning my Rover P6 3500 which I have owned since 1992 as it has very little rot and a genuine 54,000 miles, of which I did 20,000 in the early 1990s. It also has the original engine with power steering....

Just need to decide now whether to recommission as-is or go the whole hog and have the shell dipped so I can make sure I have not missed anything and to preserve it properly for future generations. Need to balance the hassle of removing the dashboard and wiring loom vs spending weeks scraping underseal.