Faulty mk3 spitfire headlights

Maff

2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Main and dip are controlled from the stg column stalk  3 positions     headlights off  ,   main beam  ,   dip beam

The pull switch should be lights first pull and panel lights  on second pull 

Pete

Aaahh. I get easily confused with levers and pull switches. Knew I'd missed something! Cheers Pete.

Confession time...

When I fitted Toby's new harness, I specified relays for the headlights. I went to test them - no actual lights fitted but listening for the clicks - and could not, for the life of me, understand what was going on. Now bear in mind I've owned at least one car with this headlight control arrangement (Vitesse, Spitfire) pretty much continuously for 30 years now. I had two relays clicking when going side to main, only one going main to dip. How? I was baffled.

Then I walked over to the Vitesse, flicked the switch, and realised I'd been operating it upside down. In that context, it was all working exactly right.

• Haha 1

If I remember only the early Spit had the three position headlight stalk switch. Most had a two position head/dip type. Not counting the TR7 type on the later 1500's. 

The motor reviews of the time were critical that you could easily go through head to sidelights. Particularly as you had been on dip with a car headlights in your eyes a moment before. So I guess that's why the Spit got the change to the switch. I believe the TR4 also had the two position switch. Why not the Herald/Vitesse?

Dave 

On 8/19/2018 at 9:52 AM, dave.vitesse said:

If I remember only the early Spit had the three position headlight stalk switch. Most had a two position head/dip type.

Not really. All the roundtails had the three-position. The Mk4 and early 1500 had the two position, with re-purposed master switch (off/side/head instead of off/exterior/dash)

On 8/19/2018 at 9:52 AM, dave.vitesse said:

I believe the TR4 also had the two position switch.

No, the TR4 had the three position column switch but it performed the function of the later type master switch (rocker on dash). So the column switch, from top, gives off/side/headlights. The TR4's main/dip selection is by foot switch next to the clutch pedal.

Despite the Motor's objections, the Herald / early Spitfire controls make a lot of sense. You need rapid access to dipped beam, for when a car appears around a bend, but switching back to main is for your convenience and need not be so hurried. Finding the middle, when the switch is working right and the driver is not a gorilla, is not hard.

• Thanks 1