Out for a spin

hilly10

On 05/01/2019 at 09:49, johny said:

On the contrary Shaun, I think everybody should get out on snow and ice in a safe place as its great practice. Far better to experience what its like, how easy it is to lose control and what you can try n do about it before it happens on the road....

I agree! I was fortunate to grow up in a place where we could drive on the baltic sea during winters, bought my first car when I was 14. No need for a driving license on the ice, and no speed limits 🙂 I learned a lot. Maybe this could be an opportunity for you living in the UK or southern europe  http://www.icedrivesweden.com/

I spent many a happy hour on the carpark at the football ground in Sheffield in my Beetle in the mid 80's when I was a student. Me and a load of other members of the Motorclub.

And evenings out in the peaks doing scatter rallies - controlling an Vw Beetle in the snow is a lot of fun - keeping the rear end from passing the front ;)

Modern cars have far too many comforts to make it easy - you don't feel cold, so you don't detect the snow and ice, the floor is insulated so you don't feel it through your feet, you can't feel the road through the cheeks of your bum so you don't get the early warning. And they generally go faster so any bump is bigger!