REMOVE AND FIT NEW RADIO.

Rabbit

Hi,

I have purchased similar and did not worry about the 70's/80's output power levels as I powered an amp OK. 
If some tit nicks it, not much of a loss.
The radio needs a strong signal to work OK as the radio is all software with minimum tuned circuits.

Cheers,

Iain.

As said most likely 5 watts RSM per Channel, 20 watts total if you are lucky. They are probably using the peak power or music power value which is an add man's value. RMS is an engineering standard value of measuring power. What we term the equivalent heating effect, the same heat generated by a DC current and voltage, or work done.

I have just ordered one, but I am not expecting much.

The classic pop stations on the MW, they are now closing down one by one, so MP3 may be the way to go. 

• 1 month later...

Well yes I did buy one of these radio's. I put it through a number of tests The RMS output power per channel (Four) is 2.5 watts at 12.5 volts and 3 watts at 14.5 volts, this is before distortion sets in.

The power output of an period AM radio is similar (2.5 - 3 watts) but would only have one channel.

In none tech terms the the sensitivity is average. There is no RDS which means you have to keep re-tuning when the signal becomes weak.

Both the card and USB facilities work OK.

It is short enough to fit into the TR7 radio slot, where there is limited depth and can be an issue.

Dave

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dave.vitesse said:

It is short enough to fit into the TR7 radio slot, where there is limited depth and can be an issue.

Dave

The new generation of non-CD head units are quite small; I was lucky enough to get my hands on the JVC KD-X252 which is radio, AUX or USB only. (£40 new, £10 on eBay)

It's half the depth of a CD-player unit and will fit the TR7 with inches to spare, so I'll be looking to replace my existing units in my other cars especially the GT6 where it tends to get very hot when driving. The spare room around it should allow greater airflow. I'm not going to start any kind of analysis or estimate of the sound output other than to say I can hear it. :)

• Thanks 1

On 19/02/2019 at 14:22, dave.vitesse said:

Well yes I did buy one of these radio's. I put it through a number of tests The RMS output power per channel (Four) is 2.5 watts at 12.5 volts and 3 watts at 14.5 volts, this is before distortion sets in.

The power output of an period AM radio is similar (2.5 - 3 watts) but would only have one channel.

In none tech terms the the sensitivity is average. There is no RDS which means you have to keep re-tuning when the signal becomes weak.

Both the card and USB facilities work OK.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I suspect that the ~3-watt figure is at greater than 5% distortion? 

Cheers,

Iain.

On 23/02/2019 at 21:23, Spitfire6 said:

Hi Dave,

I suspect that the ~3-watt figure is at greater than 5% distortion? 

Cheers,

Iain.

Iain, 1.3% Distortion at 3 watts on Radio. As interest the sensitivity is 2u/V for SINAD 35db with +/- 35kHZ dev. At 1u/V is 17db SINAD. The distortion was 1.2% went using the AUX socket.

It will be interesting to see how the receiver handles the rapid changes of signal strength and phase change when mobile.

Dave