GT6 Mk3 Diff Flange

Dolomitejohn

Hi All, 

Quick question re my "stood for 20 years" GT6 MK3.

Having purchased the car in nov it has been stood in my garage whilst I sort the engine and electrics. One thing I have noticed is that it is not dripping oil from the Engine, Diff or gearbox.

My Restored Sprint on the other hand drips from every orifice despite having all new seals etc. 

The engine is fine, so decided to check the oil level in the diff. It took 1/2 litre.  Was much quieter when I drove it down the road.   However it started dripping. LOTs of dripping from the front flange.

Today I removed the exhaust and prop and then the diff flange (Castle nut). The flange seems in good condition. But here is my question. With the flange removed the splined pinion flange in the diff has huge amount of side movement when I wiggle it. Refitting the flange (without nut) eliminates this. Also before I removed the flange there was no movement.   So is the pinion bearing a taper roller and therefore this slop with flange removed normal and correct ?

I guess I am going to find the same with the gearbox although this is bone dry around the output flange and speedo drive, whereas the diff area was covered in oil.

Thoughts ?

Thanks all.

John

yes those diff bearings are tapered so with the nut undone they are loose and its normal to have lots of movement. Now comes the problem as they are preloaded bearings so its recommended to count the number of turns required to undo the nut so that it can be returned to exactly the same place thus ensuring the correct tension on the bearings. Perhaps you can retrace your steps after replacing the seal to get back to the original position.....

Also make sure the casing vent is clear by moving the jiggle pin (at the rear of the diff on top) as if this is blocked oil can be forced out of the seals by the increasing internal pressure when the diff warms up. 

Ah, there are 2 types of diff spacer. I believe the 1500 diffs had the collapsable spacer arrangement where counting turns is so important. However, it is possible other diffs also use this? Anyway, it uses a nyloc nut.

If the nut is castellated amd uses a split pin then it is just torqued up, the spacer is solid and preload is set using spacers/shims. So rather easier to put back together.