spitfire rear lights

CliveW

The rear lights on my mk1 spitfire go out when the lights are switched from dip to main beam. The car has been fitted with a Remax dip dim unit which I'm trying to see if I can disconect, however as far as I can see there is no direct connection with the main/dip selector switch and the rearlights. Any suggestions?

The rear lights on my mk1 spitfire go out when the lights are switched from dip to main beam. The car has been fitted with a Remax dip dim unit which I'm trying to see if I can disconect, however as far as I can see there is no direct connection with the main/dip selector switch and the rearlights. Any suggestions?

Many seemingly unconnected electrical problems are caused by bad earthing. That's what I would check first.

Have just checked brake lights and there not working as well. I have tried connecting an external earth to rear light holder to check and that had no effect. I have also put a meter across the fuses and they are OK and connections look good. I'm very suspicious of the dip-dim unit that's been fitted, but I'm still trying to work out how to take it out of circuit, however the lights were OK before it was put away for winter.

I'm not a spitfire boy either but if it was ok when you laid it up for winter and now not working Is their any signs of mice? I though spitfires had dip dim lights as standard so what's the unit mentioned to do? Where is it? Is the car negitive or positive earth?
I thought the main light switch feeds the dip lights/full beam switch and front/rear side lights, switching dip to full should change the connection before it.
was this with the car running? Have tried switching to fill beam with the headlights unplugged?

Are the front side lights working? if so the feed from the switch is okay. If the side lights work but the rears don't you will find a multi plug connector up in the passenger glove box area. This connects the rear loom. Separate the plug and see if you have Volts on the red cable.

I have also put a meter across the fuses and they are OK and connections look good. 

Does the 12v at the (side/tail light) fuse stay or go when you go from dip to main?

If it stays, the fault is in the wiring to, or at the lights (probably earth).  If it goes, there is something in the switches/wiring before the fuse that isn't right.  As I think you know, the rear/side light supply should have noting to do with the main/dip switch. 

If you have problems with your brake lights as well, definitely suspect earth (although I have just had a brake light switch fail).

C.

• 3 weeks later...

I found that I had 12v at the light switch, but no power at the fuses, I couldn't identify where the wire was broken so I have run a new connection from the light switch  to the fuse ait all now works OK.  Thanks for the advise.