Triumph Stag with 3.5 engine

Phil

Seen a Triumph Stag which has the 3.5 litre Rover engine fitted. I see elsewhere on this site it says the value of these cars are a lot less than genuine, which is understandable. Was wondering if anybody could put some typical prices up.

As ever prices for these cars vary greatly, you see some adverts for £25k for what appear to be good cars. What would you expect a good Stag with a Rover engine to be worth.

Additionally the cars got the bonnet bulge to accommodate the engine so there is no hiding the fact.

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

What would you expect a good Stag with a Rover engine to be worth.

That all depends on the standard of the work. It's hard to give a ballpark figure when we have so many... the only way I can describe it now is 'clowns' doing what they like to cars that no longer require an MOT, as no-one will ever check, apparently. In the last few months I've seen so many Frankenstein jobs it's scarier than the monster ever was.

Obviously as you've already discovered, the price will be somewhat less than a genuine Stag-engined version, but additionally it all depends on condition of the bodywork, and any other mods carried out as well - as Johny says, suspension and brakes. For a cheaper car it may make no difference at all, but for a more expensive version, it may be a bigger saving, or maybe none at all, if the owner reckons it's an improvement. 

I know this is no help, but it may give you an idea of how hard it can be to put a figure on a variant!

One of my locals sold one a couple of years ago for £7k. It had both a body and engine rebuild, plus had been modded well. With an original engine it would have been worth at least £16k due to it's condition.

I agree with Colin a modded car can be a minefield of problems and also may not be tax except.

Dave  

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting point about suspension, I hadn't thought about that one. Colin I agree with the MOT point, like many I can't understand the Government's stance on no MOTs on classics. Personally I'd have an MOT done just for a second opinion and to be honest pride of having car that would whistle through an MOT. Dave I've had a look on the web regarding the exemption from tax for historical vehicles, can't see anything that would make a car not tax exempt because of a different engine but certainly one worth considering.

i was a long-term Stag owner before i switched to the 4......  

If it is a low-mid range car then the Rover engine will knock a £2-3K off the value.  Unfortunately, at the higher-end of the price range people are looking for originality as well as condition - at that price-point it may be worth £5-10k less.

Johny is correct that a properly carried out engine-swap should also have front suspension mods based on the rover lump being about 100lbs lighter - there are plenty that haven't been altered.  The right engine mounts and a lowered cross-member mean no bonnet-mods required.

No problem with a Rover conversion, just don't overpay and check the work has been done correctly.

....... Andy