Wiring issues on vitesse

iana

Spent the day cleaning 20 years on grime from the engine bay and I must have disturbed the wiring again.

The earth wires on the lights are decidedly iffy - there’s a scotch lock connector that I think may have been a previous owner repair, can I just disconnect the earth wires (black) and install a pair of earth cables taken back to a suitable point - can anyone suggest a suitable earth point to connect to.

Also on checking the earth strap on the steering rack to the chassis that had nearly worn through so I replaced it with a new earth wire - apart from the horn what else is earthed via this point (everything else seemed to work)

Om my Vit6 we ran earth bonding on the chassis, front and rear body tubs all back to the battery earth post , saves a lot of voltage drop through old rusty joints

The rack earth only does the horn, some have a link to the engine front plate and chassis 

You cant have too many  earths

Pete

Thanks, I’ll run a couple of earth wires and hopefully that will fix the problem. I’m installing relays onto the lights in the near future so that will hopefully tidy things up a bit more

Yes getting 12-14v at the lamps turns old sealed beam glow worms into very illuminating .

A decent dedicated  rewired earth back to the main battery earth  certainly completes the up volts improvement

The earth  is just as importance as the new feed , no point in a more efficient feed if the return path is strangled 

Pete