Fitting a temperature guage for a Herald

chris breckon

Hi there,

I have finally got my Herald 1200 estate MOT'd and back on the road for the first time since 1988!!  The car was bought new in 1967 by my Grandad so I know the 51K is genuine and after a service the engine is running well.

Now for the question - I'm running on unleaded and didnt intend to get the unleaded conversion done until this head expires. So I want to have a temperature guage to keep a close eye on whats going on in the meantime.

The standard Herald 1200 doesnt have a temperature guage so I'm looking to add one, but where to put the sensor? Other older cars I owned always had a sensor in the thermostat housing but not this one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

You can get thermostat covers that have a tapping in them to take a temperature sensor, keep an eye on Ebay.

Alternatively, you can fit a waterpump housing from a later car that has the temperature sensor tapping in the housing.

• Like 1

If using the standard triumph (pun intended) gauge there are two basic types stabalised and non stabalised the sensors are different the change point is around 1968

The stabalised type also needs the 10v stabaliser, common source is mk4/1500 spit or one of the solid state ones that are readily available now

If you are not worried about looks/originality one of the units on flea bay that fits in the top hose will work fine

Hugh