Herald camber setting queries

Hi all! Since I wrote that article on adjustable wishbones and camber settings for last month's Courier I've had a few queries regarding the camber angle I've quoted, so I'm open to suggestions and solutions as to why some manuals differ from others.

I used the Service Training Notes manual as it was closest to hand and it gives the figures as 3.25 degrees positive for the saloon, and 3.5 degrees positive for the Estate and Convertible.(+ or - 1 degree)

The Workshop Manual states 2 degrees positive for all models.

I'm trying to find out why there is a difference between the Workshop Manual and the Service Training Notes which were used to train mechanics in Standard Triumph Garage and who would presumably be more hands-on than many owners.

One thing I'm looking at is that the FWM uses the static laden weight where the car has a huge weight on each seat - 68kgs x 4 plus a full tank of fuel - which would put the suspension in an entirely different place than the unladen or kerbside weight. The STN make no mention of laden weight but only stipulate that the car must be on a level surface.

Is this the reason for the difference?

Colin,

My Herald (1960) Owners Repair Manual states "A vehicle is said to be static laden when the weight of Static Laden is 150 lbs is supported by each seat"

"Coupe : total weight 300 lbs (136 kg)"

"Saloon : total weight 600 lbs (272 kg)"

It also gives the front camber as 2 deg positive.

Not sure that helps.

The manual is an official Standard Triumph publication issued by the service division.

I thought your article was excellent.

Dave. 

14 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

Colin,

My Herald (1960) Owners Repair Manual states "A vehicle is said to be static laden when the weight of Static Laden is 150 lbs is supported by each seat"

"Coupe : total weight 300 lbs (136 kg)"

"Saloon : total weight 600 lbs (272 kg)"

It also gives the front camber as 2 deg positive.

Not sure that helps.

The manual is an official Standard Triumph publication issued by the service division.

I thought your article was excellent.

Dave. 

Thanks Dave... I just like to be accurate too, but sometimes I can't confirm if I'm right, or slightly wrong, or miles off! Sometimes I'll read one and think: "Where on earth did I get that from?" then have to remember where I was when I wrote it, and how long ago, and what I was working on at the time, and which reference book or website I used....

The Vitesse 2 Litre and GT6 Mk 1, 2 & 3 Triumph Workshop Manual quotes suspension data for both unladen and static laden vehicles, so a comparison can be drawn.

Vitesse Mk 2 saloon and convertible unladen front camber 3.25 degrees, +/- 1.0 degree

Vitesse Mk 2 saloon and convertible static laden front camber 2.0 degrees, +/- 1.0 degree (saloon 4 up, convertible 2 up)

So the two figures you have may well be unladen and static laden.

Gully