Sad news....

Cookie

Therer was a post on another Triumph forum regarding a crash in Devon where surfboards came off a roof rack and hit a Spitfire Passenger causing the driver to swerve and hit an oncoming car. Sounds like the Spitfire Driver was unfortunatly very seriously injured. :-(

Whether or not it is one of our members I do hope he makes the best recovery he can...

News story from the local press

http://www.middevongazette.co.uk/Surfboard-hits-passenger-flys-car-roof-resulting/story-22816005-detail/story.html

That sounds awful,   it amazes me the lack of  integrity some  drivers have when it comes to roof rack and its contents being constrained by  

totally inferior fixings incapable of withstanding wind resistance or any sudden manoeuvres

a surf board must generate a lot of lift/dive  depends how its positioned  and even cheap ratchet straps may struggle.

you see some crazy loads haring down the motorways ....at speeds ... bits of string and polly bags in the wind  ........   worrying  when this is the outcome

good luck t all involved 

Pete

Does anyone know who the driver is and whether, or not he is a Club member?

I understand that the injuries are described as 'Life Changing.'  This means they are not life threatening, but life will never be the same again.  He will have received some injury that he may never recover from, e.g. amputation, brain damage, etc. 

Our thoughts go out to everyone involved, whether tourist, or local.  There's a lot of idiots down this neck of the woods at the moment!

Regards

Mike

(Professional Commercial Vehicle Driver and Trainer)

We regularly carry stuff on the roof of our car. and using a towbar bike rack. I drive a van and am experienced at lashing roof loads. However sometimes an employee helps. I have never been happy with their lashing. People have no idea of how to tighten stuff down. It comes as no surprise.