Early Spitfire Sump Guard

JonCronin

Anyone have one the dimensions for one of these? I have some photos but length/width dimensions would be useful as well as more info on the chassis side and rear chassis fittings. Of course if anyone has one that surplus to requirement please let me know! Thanks everyone.

Jon

I can't help directly, I'm afraid, but many years ago when I trialed a Herald off road I fitted it with a sumpguard.  I bolted it through the chassis rail flanges, not the rail itself.  I seem to remember that it was fairly flat and easy to make.  Obviously you need to be able to remove it to change the oil, etc.

Regards

Mike

Thanks for the thoughts both. I have some photos and I guess with the front fitment being located with the anti roll bar it should give me a clue :-) likewise the aperture for accessing the sump drain plug which will give me a clue on the length. Probably use aluminium rather than Steel though. I seem to recall Garth being pestered (not just by me!) a few years ago to get some remanufactured so though he might have specs :-)

John

Mine was made from 9mm aluminium tread plate, but you might not need such heavy weight plate.  9mm is difficult to bend, thinner stuff is easier.  If you use tread plate, put the tread side in the engine bay and the smooth side down!

Regards

Mike

Thanks Colin, so a remanufactured is on the cards then? Any further details?

Still waiting final developments through the Club Shop; I was intending to sell this one at Stafford a couple of years ago but it got itself donated as a template for trial remanufacture… hopefully it will be feasible to remake them. 

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll hold on and see what happens with the club shop. Trying to make my mk3 Spit a little racier and do "more with it!" SAH bonnet and Le Mans wheels fitted shortly to go with the fastback roof and a fast road head and cam and a de cambered rear spring. Probably do some regularity rally events later in the year!

Thanks again everyone.