2 questions

Chris Bracey

Hi again. Two questions .1. When i first  bought this spitfire 1500 in 1979 i remember it suffered from vapourisation in the carbs and often broke down it now has su carbs but i thought it had different units fitted but i would like to know what caused the problem?  2. The car has  now has a conventional points distributor but i have read it should have an electronic unit? I quitr like the points unit but would like fo get back to original...... but not its original russet brown ! Thanks

sorry  dont undstand that   the 1500 always had HS4 SU carbs and normal points in the distributor so 

what was removed ???  where did you get the idea it ever had electronics in the dizzy ???

youve had the car since 79 have you not got a workshop manual of sorts to refer to the basics ???

christmas is coming   maybe one for a wish list 

Pete

No i have tracked the car and bought it from the previos owner. It might have been a US site regarding the dizzy. I know the dealer could not stop the car breaking down and blamed it on the carbs and replaced float valves but in traffic it just stopped and seemed to flood its why i sold it in the end.  i drove it down from liverpool with no problems so wondered if the carbs were the original ones, thats all.

'Chris,

SUs are standard on a 1500 and mechanical points were the original. I changed to electronic to save fiddling about setting the gap, it works very well. Fuel vaporization is quite rare unless you're on a race circuit, but people believe they have it until it turns out to be something else.

Strange how some colours suit some cars, my GT6 is mimosa, I like it, but on a TR6, no! I quite like russet on a Spitfire but not on anything else.

Doug

Thanks all. I did actually  like russett brown and would restore  it that colour but my wife likes the red that it is currently sprayed. Wadham stringer never did resolve the flooding / fuel supply issue that occurred when in traffic. Certainly doesnt do it now. Some suggested the fuel pump might have been over pressuring. I know  it killed the pleasure of a first new car...... but still couldnt resist buying it back 40 years on !  I have had mk1 spitfires, gt6, and 2 x tr4as before 1979  but never encountered the same problem so was not impressed . I just wondered if it had been a common problem. Thanks all.

Yes it was a common problem with the 1500 Spit. Most people fitted a small washer under, where it screwed into the top, the float chamber valve housing because the valve itself is not adjustable.This spaced the assembly down into the float chamber and shut off the valve earlier/harder. This cured the problem.

Thanks,

Dave

Back to Q2:  Late US Spitfires were fitted with the Lucas OPUS electronic, breakerless ignition system at some stage - no idea when, but before 1977.     It was a version with the electronics on a circuit board that replaced the contact breaker unit, and - surprise! - it wasn't reliable.    Later versions put the electronics in a seprate box, , leaving only the sensor and four ferrite rods on the rotor inside the dizzie.  That worked, and it was used on Aston Martins, Jaguars, Land Rovers, Rolls-Royces, Rovers, Citroens, Fiats, Peugeots, Renaults, Skodas, etc.etc .

Many replacement breakerless systems available today, just not OPUS!

John

I have an avid hate of SU and from days  of 1967 with new moggies  to my 2000 which has 2   HS4s  flooding especially with at idle  seems an inherent must have  !!!

the 2000 was prolific and thats where i came across the roughed needle platform on the float . jams the needle by pitching it all ,   looks ok but doesnt work 

tried all my best gags at repairs but reluctantly  new floats solved it instantly ,